Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Level 3

One-sided or double-side?

Does anyone know if IRS or a state treasury department accepts double-sided printouts (i.e., printouts on front and back), or they only accept single-side (i.e., printouts on front only)?  I have a couple hundreds of pages to printout to send to them, which is why.  

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge!  J

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You can print the federal tax return double-sided, but make sure that page breaks occur where they should.  State return guidelines will vary based on the state in which you file your return. 

The IRS tax booklets, for those who still order them, contain double-sided forms and the IRS uses duplex scanners when processing paper submissions.

If your state issues paper forms, they could be loosely used as a guideline, though it is probably best to contact the state to be certain of their preference.  

Contact information for state agencies can be found here: How to contact your state tax authority.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Are you talking about the brokerage statements that you have to send with the details of your stock transactions? It would help if you kept all your related questions in one thread, so that all the relevant information is in one place.

I think you can safely print the brokerage statements two-sided. For the tax return itself, if you are filing by mail, I always recommend printing on only one side. But for the brokerage statements, especially very large ones, I'm sure two-sided printing is okay.

also for the tax return itself, do not print worksheets - there should be an option to print  only the forms required for filing

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You can print the federal tax return double-sided, but make sure that page breaks occur where they should.  State return guidelines will vary based on the state in which you file your return. 

The IRS tax booklets, for those who still order them, contain double-sided forms and the IRS uses duplex scanners when processing paper submissions.

If your state issues paper forms, they could be loosely used as a guideline, though it is probably best to contact the state to be certain of their preference.  

Contact information for state agencies can be found here: How to contact your state tax authority.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 3

Yes, I meant brokerage-issued 1099B printouts.  You confirmation on the two-sided conforms to my understanding.  Thank you for your time! 

Level 3

That's the gist of my issue - it's impossible to print out the worksheet, because it will have way too many entries, which is why I am going to use Form 8453 and check off the last box.  Thank you for your comment!

Level 3

Thank you for your comment!  Along with other comments, it seems quite clear that I wouldn't have any issue with two-sided - I can help save some trees.  As well, thank you for posting state-by-state directory, yet only they pick up phone and respond within two weeks. 🙂  Nevertheless, thank you.   

Have you thought about printing four pages per sheet, landscape, double sided ?

Level 3

Thank you for your comment, Fanfare.  I thought about that too and tried it out, but it's somewhat hard to read the content due to the reduced size of each page, which defeats the whole purpose of sending it in paper.  Maybe two page per sheet

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies