turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my disabled mom if I help her with daily tasks and she does not live with me

Can I claim for daily tasks that I help my disabled mom with

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Can I claim my disabled mom if I help her with daily tasks and she does not live with me

No you cannot claim anything for helping your mother with daily tasks.  That is just what one does for an elderly or disabled parent.  If you pay for over half  of your mom's support, and her income -- not counting Social Security -- is less than $4150, then you may be able to claim her as a dependent and get the $500 credit for other dependents.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have a sort of follow up to this question. My mom lived with me and she went into the hospital on march 27 of this year... then they placed her in rehab to get better and be able to "climb the steps" at where she stays with me and ended up staying there until sept 9th where she went back into the hospital and then passed away sept 23rd. I bought her food paid for clothing and went to see her everyday. can i claim her on the next text season where i previously did... before this happened.

Again---performing tasks and helping your aging parent are not criteria in whether you can claim your parent as a dependent.  Those are just the things you do as a decent human being.  

In order to claim your parent as your tax dependent, the parent would have to meet the criteria to be claimed.

Review the criteria under Qualifying Relative:

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4,150 in 2018  ($4200 for 2019)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

really didn't answer my question but thanks because i DID take care of my mom fully she didn't get any type of aid until she was put in the rehab that's why i'm asking the question.

You provided NO information about your mother's income or the amount of financial support you provided, so it is impossible to tell you if you can claim your mom as your dependent.  It is all about the financial support--not about visiting, taking food, etc.  Please review the links given to you to see what criteria have to be met to claim your mother and use the interactive IRS guide.

I apologize. it still new and frustrating. My mom was a housewife my dad took care of her and then my brother then myself she did n't have any income and again got sick and then passed away so i had previously about 8 years maybe 9 years have claimed her. this year is the only issue because of the rehab and her death.

that she died is immaterial to the equation.  if you meet the requirements of being able to take her as a qualifying relative (see the information earlier in this thread), then you can for the entire year.  there are no partials when it comes to the deduction for qualifying relatives (and that is true in the year of birth or death)

We are sorry for your loss.  If your mom had literally NO income, and you contributed over half of her support for the year then she *might* be your qualified relative for the tax year, even though she passed away during the year.  However---we do not know if you contributed over half her support.  We do not know who was paying for rehab, etc.  That is why you need to use the links provided to determine if you should claim her.

If you are able to claim her, it will be for the $500 credit for other dependents.  There are no personal exemptions for 2018 or 2019 like there were in the past.   If you paid for rehab, etc then you can also enter the medical expenses you paid for under medical expenses.  If they were paid by Medicare or Medicaid, etc. you cannot claim the medical expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies