Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I are married but filing separately because we no longer live together, but it is asking for her Social. She's not going to give it to me what can I do?

we are separated but still married, I want to file separately as she lives with one of our grown sons and he actually claims her as a dependent, but one of the questions it is asking for her social. If I'm not claiming her why do I need her social.  She is not going to want to give it to me. Is there a way to remove her from my info or what can I do?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My wife and I are married but filing separately because we no longer live together, but it is asking for her Social. She's not going to give it to me what can I do?

Look on last year's tax return?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, there is no way to "remove" her.  There are special rules for married filing separate that require each spouse provide the other spouse's social security number.  You will have to obtain her Social Security number to file.  If your son is going to claim your wife as a dependent, then he will need her social security number - ask him.  Get a copy of a prior year tax return that you filed jointly.  You said she in not going to want to give it to you, so it sounds like you haven't asked her, maybe she will give it to you if you ask. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@leonardo-saenz wrote:
l.  She is not going to want to give it to me. Is there a way to remove her from my info or what can I do?

Why?  Because when  filing separately  the tax law requires the other spouses SSN because if one spouse itemizes deduction the other spouse CANNOT take the standard deduction to "game" the system.   The other spouse must also itemize even if that spouse has nothing to itemize.    The SSN of the other spouse is required by law so that the IRS can match the returns to be sure both spouses followed the law.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

ask you son claiming her for her SSN.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies