turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My taxes were accepted, but my federal return had a mistake. (healthcare bought through marketplace). I fixed mistakes and faxed to IRS 30+ days ago. how long will it be?

I waited months before contacting both parties and still haven't received my federal. I'm getting worried and need my money! what do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My taxes were accepted, but my federal return had a mistake. (healthcare bought through marketplace). I fixed mistakes and faxed to IRS 30+ days ago. how long will it be?

The IRS stopped processing paper work some time ago and has not said when they will start processing it again. Unfortunately until they do, there will be no progress on your tax return. 

When they start processing your return, you can track the status on the IRS tracking web site:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, anything requiring manual processing at the IRS (such as your fax) is experiencing considerable delays at this time due to extreme staffing shortages as well as many department closures at the IRS.

There is not likely to be any work done on your return until the IRS resumes normal operations, and we do not know when that may be. 

I wish that I had better news for you or could offer a solution, but there isn't one at this time.  

You do want to be sure that your fax went through, though.  If you do not have a fax confirmation sheet that shows the transmittal was successful, I suggest mailing a copy of the same document in.  Many IRS fax lines have been turned off during this pause in operations. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

it's now July 5th and I still haven't received any new information on my federal taxes.. I understand everything everybody's saying about the IRS closing a lot of departments and paper taxes not being put through. I'm extremely worried about my financial situation and all the hard work I put into earning those taxes, have basically put me in financial ruin... I'm extremely lost and don't know what to do. I faxed everything in on time before the deadline they gave me and I'll have to look through my paperwork to look for a fax confirmation. I've pretty much given up at this point, the government can keep my $5,000 I guess?!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What is the status of your tax return?  

@Jacobhaselton22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

While IRS phone support is extremely limited, you can try calling them using this procedure:

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

You could also try using the Taxpayer Advocate Service although help there is also very limited: 

https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies