Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

I filed both at the same time and I seen my state was deposited in my account but no federal last I knew federal return always came first and state a bit after that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

153 Replies
Heather14

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

It doesn't mean that anything is wrong, each state processes their state tax returns separately from the IRS, and the fact that you received your state refund first, just means that your state was able to process your state return and process your refund a bit more quickly than the IRS has processed your federal return.   

I don't understand how I got a date for me to get my state and my fed still saying recived and being processed. If something was wrong with my fed wouldn't they hold both until they can figure out what's wrong. When I called about my taxes the agent stated I should be gettin a letter in the mail since February 27 nothing yet.. So any one can help me out here

Did you ever get your feds refund because that is happening to me now

No I had to call and verify my identification for my 5071C form in order to get it but the IRS had accepted my Federal refund on Jan 15 I called they told me it will take up to 9 weeks to process and I dnt even have any dependent on there never have

So once you made the call how long did it take to get your refund & do you have an exact number to call them

Yea they should send you one in the mail w/ a case number

How long did it take them to send you your refund after the phone call

Haven’t received a date on it just said it’s been accepted on turbo tax and IRS still is updating my status since the phone call

The IRS did have a computer glitch last week, so that may have slowed them down some. States sometime update their systems to make refunds go quicker too. I wouldn't worry about getting the state refund back first.

This same thing has happened to me this year.  Both my fed and state say accepted and were filled same day but got my state first. But since it says my fed is accepted there shouldn't be a problem right?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

It's possible there are issues, even though the return has been "accepted," but there are any number of IRS processing issues that could cause a slight delay, so you shouldn't be overly concerned.

If there's a problem, the IRS will notify you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kMoloney

Earned  income & child tax credits are not being processed until feb 15. What i read says not to expect your refund until after 2/27 if you claimed these credits since they're highly abused.

Erick101

So you received your state refund already this year?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Erick101 this thread is an older thread but yes some have received their refunds this year. If you have any new issues please post a new thread for better assistance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies