turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return was accepted in February, with a total tax due over $3000, but I should owe less due to the tax break for unemployment. How can I avoid paying the full balance?

I've seen the IRS say they don't want people to file amended returns yet, but I don't want to overpay by nearly $2K for a later refund.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My return was accepted in February, with a total tax due over $3000, but I should owe less due to the tax break for unemployment. How can I avoid paying the full balance?

The IRS commissioner testified that they might be able to adjust peoples tax returns without requiring an amended return. However, there has been no official announcement. At this point, I would keep waiting, and watch the IRS website for news.  Since the deadline for making your payment has been extended to May 17, there is some time before you have to determine whether you should make a full or adjusted partial payment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The IRS commissioner testified that they might be able to adjust peoples tax returns without requiring an amended return. However, there has been no official announcement. At this point, I would keep waiting, and watch the IRS website for news.  Since the deadline for making your payment has been extended to May 17, there is some time before you have to determine whether you should make a full or adjusted partial payment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies