Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dinari
Returning Member

My return mysteriously changed after I clicked the 'Transmit' Button, and did the same thing in amend!

I have an MFJ return and we each have an IRA deduction.  After completing my return I showed a federal refund of about $300. I went through Finish & File and the refund monitor showed the $300 refund. I clicked 'Transmit,' and efiled the return and got a message saying that even though I hd efiled, I would need to print and mail some forms. I click 'Print,' and it's a 1040-V voucher for paying a ~$1000 balance due! 

I logged back in to turbo and looked at the forms available in my Tax Home, and it shows the ~$1000 balance due; somehow one fof our IRA contributions was marked as non-deducible without warning, and AFTER I had clicked transmit! 

I went back in after the return had been accepted to do an amendment, this time with a customer service on the phone with me and sharing my screen. She watched as the same bug happened on the amended return. I went in and made the change I needed to (clicking 'no' on the "were you covered by a retirement plan at work" question in the IRA flow), and the refund monitor again showed refunds for fed and state. Went through finish and file, transmitted, and got the same message abut printing and mailing. Clicked the link and once agin get the 1040-V voucher for th ~$1000 balance due! So the changes I made on the amended return were reverted and I just transmitted an amendment with no changes on it. 

I somehow got disconnected from customer service at that point, and when I called back and explained the situation to another representative, they told me that TurboTax is not the product for me, and that I should use something else!

I'm baffled by both the bug and the response from customer service here. Can't I ammend once this bug has been addressed? Or is it paper filing and mailing for me? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

My return mysteriously changed after I clicked the 'Transmit' Button, and did the same thing in amend!

You had quite the experience. I am sorry. This is not a known issue. You may have  a piece of data stuck. I would recommend downloading to the desktop version to do your amend so you can see the forms and any issues before hitting file. The steps to switch are in Should I file an amended return?

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet- if possible, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the information again.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dinari
Returning Member

Unfortunately my experience has only gotten worse. I took your suggestion and cleared my cache, restarted the computer, etc. I tried once again to correct the error using the amend in TTO, only to have the same bug strike again. I have it all screen-recorded. So now I've just filed another useless amendment with the IRS, and TurboTax support says I have to pay for a copy of desktop in order to try and fix this error, since the returns have all been accepted by the agencies. No matter that the system caused the returns that were accepted to be inaccurate. I'm frankly shocked at the experience I've had with all of this. It has been far from awesome. 

When you amend a return to NOT look at  the refund-O-Meter  or the 1040-V ... those will not be correct.

ONLY look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.  If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it.  If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Dinari
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply. The problem here is that everything in both columns on the 1040X thats being transmitted match; there's no change being made. The 1040X that was transmitted is different from the one I reviewed before hitting the 'transmit' button. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies