turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oscarg97
Returning Member

My parents claimed me as a dependent on their tax return, but my HSA is not allowing me to file my return as a dependent.

My parents claimed me as a dependent without knowing that I had a medical HSA. I am unable to file my tax return as a dependent because of it, and they have already filed their return. 

What do I need to do so that I can properly file my tax return? Do they need to amend their return? Can I proceed in filing my return as independent even though my parents claimed me as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

My parents claimed me as a dependent on their tax return, but my HSA is not allowing me to file my return as a dependent.

No, you can't e-file and claim yourself since your parents claimed you. 

You can select that you are a dependent and e-file or print and mail your return in. 

If you are claiming yourself, you must mail in your return and your parents will need to file an amended return to "un-claim" you. 

If they don't, the IRS will send you all a letter and make an investigation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Oscarg97
Returning Member

I keep getting an alert that I can't be claimed as a dependent while having an HSA, which is why I am unable to proceed with filing my return as a dependent. From what I understand, you can't be claimed as a dependent if you have an HSA.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You can't claim the deduction for an HSA if another taxpayer is entitled to claim you as a dependent. 

KrisD15 has the correct information that states that you must mail in a paper return and your parents need to mail in a return to "un-claim" you if you want to take the deduction for an HSA. The IRS states that if your parents are entitled to claim you, then you are not eligible for the deduction. Are you a dependent?

And from the IRS:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies