Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husbands last two paychecks have greatly reduced Federal Med/EE tax. By about $125. I’m very concerned about this. Does anyone know why he would all of the sudden be paying less?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KittyM2
Expert Alumni

My husbands last two paychecks have greatly reduced Federal Med/EE tax. By about $125. I’m very concerned about this. Does anyone know why he would all of the sudden be paying less?

It could be because Social Security withholding phases out at $132,900 ($137,700 for 2020). Your wages with no limit are taxed at 1.45% for Medicare. Your employer matches those amounts and sends the total to the government.

I suggest you contact your employer for further information about your payroll deductions. Pay stubs vary widely in the terms they use, so it would be wise to confirm the actual reason.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You might have to have him check with his employer.  Perhaps they over-withheld earlier in the year and are  just adjusting for the proper amounts.

(Edited out)

.....and... for just the SS portion if his income has exceeded 132,900 for 2019, then SS stops (but Medicare doesn't)

A discussion with his employer (Payroll or HR ) should clear up what's up.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I slipped up....and edited my comment above.  401k contributions are not removed from SS wages, only from taxable income.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies