Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aarnoldx1
Returning Member

My husband owes back child support will my proportion of stimulus payment be taken as well

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My husband owes back child support will my proportion of stimulus payment be taken as well

from the IRS website: 

A21. No, with one exception. The Payment will be offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

Also, if you filed jointly, CS won't release the fund for 6 months to give you time to file that injured spouse form. It will then take your protion of the tax return, send his return to child support and then send him the difference if their is any.

👎🏻Not true. Need real help.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The only option to potentially redirect funds when they are taken from one spouse to cover the other's debts is to file the injured spouse form. 

It will not work in all cases, such as in many community property states. 

If the form does not provide any relief, then it is likely that due to state laws for the resident state, none is available.  

@janda13

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies