Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal and state returns are accepted but my school return is rejected multiple times due to PIT-068.

I have verified the data input into Turbo Tax - all Payer federal ID and state IDs are correct as well as the taxes withheld and the state code.    I am at wits end to figure out why it keeps being rejected.   I have used Turbo Tax for many years with the same income/withholding situations and have NEVER had a problem.   When checking the filing status after the rejection - Turbo Tax says "we can help fix" the problem.   However, NOTHING is indicated as to the problem

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

My federal and state returns are accepted but my school return is rejected multiple times due to PIT-068.

We would like to take a deeper dive into this message to assist you.  In order to do this, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file that is experiencing this issue. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools.

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools.
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent.
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number.
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.

Here are the instructions if you are using TurboTax CD/Download:

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return.

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I spoke to a representative from Turbo Tax and they informed me that others had this issue and the only way to file would be to print and mail the return.   I advised that that was unacceptable.   I asked when Intuit would be sending an update to fix the problem; but, they informed me that it wasn’t their problem - it was the Ohio Department of Taxation.    I have asked them this question - no response yet.   However, my daughter had already e-filed the school returns using Turbo Tax software before my six times rejections.   I used the state’s filing services to file my school return.    I am seriously considering what software to use next year since Intuit Turbo Tax has greatly disappointed me this year.

owu7
Level 2

Any luck yet? I am having the same issue. I am not even receiving a reason why it is rejected. Everything is fine with federal and state. But SD keeps getting rejected. 

After speaking with a Turbo Tax representative they said I should print and mail the school return.   I said that was unacceptable.   They pretty much blamed the State Department of Taxation for the problem.   I decided to file my school tax return on the tax.ohio.gov site.   It was easy to use and my filings are complete.   

There is a definitely a problem with e-filing the school district return with Turbo Tax.   You will need to decide whether you want to print and mail or try the filing system on the state web site.   Turbo Tax won’t help and there is no indication what is wrong.

Good Luck!

owu7
Level 2

Thank you for the information. And you are 100% correct in saying that this is unacceptable.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

We have seen successful transmissions when making the following corrections:

The state information shown in boxes 14 through 16 of Form 1099-R need to all have a value in them if there are any state taxes withheld. If your Form 1099-R does not show a state ID number, enter the Federal ID number. If your Form 1099-R does not show a state distribution (box 16), enter the distribution amount shown in box 1. Do not enter zero for the distribution amount if state taxes were withheld. Also, if there were no state taxes withheld, do not enter a zero in that box. Instead leave it blank without even a zero.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rallenhall
Returning Member

CatinaT1, thanks for the explanation. I too had the Ohio state return accepted but the Ohio school district return rejected. You mention successful transmissions after corrections, but the state and school taxes are filed together. I assume that the SD return cannot be filed separately, but what complications could I expect from double-filing a state return that has been accepted?

I was not able to electronically file the Ohio School District tax through Turbo Tax.   I had to go to the Ohio.gov web site to use their online filing.   It was the only way I could file without having to print and mail the return.   I did contact the State Department of Taxation to ask if it was their software preventing the electronic filing.   They responded that it was not an issue on their side.   Don’t think I can blame Ohio since my daughter had used Turbo Tax to file her (and her daughter’s) state and school taxes without a problem.    It appears the problem lies with the data input of the 1099-R information.    I am in hopes that Turbo Tax will make corrections for next year’s filings (if I choose to use it again).   I have used their software for years and also with 1099-R income in the past.    Good Luck in your filings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies