turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Must install on C Drive?

I always install applications on  my D drive, leaving the C drive for Window operating system files only.

I have previously installed TurboTax on the D Drive. Now with 2019, It will only let me install on the C drive. Is it possible to get around this restriction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Must install on C Drive?

What, precisely, did you do with respect to installing previous years' editions of TurboTax? 

The only thing that has changed, to the best of my knowledge, is the necessity to enter an activation code.

dmertz
Level 15

Must install on C Drive?

"It will only let me install on the C drive" is not particularly descriptive of the symptoms you are seeing.  I was able to specify during installation to  install on a drive other than C drive without difficulty.  TurboTax does still install some common components in the Program Files (x86) directory, so it does need a few hundred MB of storage available on the drive that has that system directory. 

Must install on C Drive?

I figured it out.  When I got the directory tree to select the installation folder, I selected an existing folder - D:\TurboTax.  The installation then made this into C:\Program Files\TurboTax\TurboTax. If I instead just click on the root D: drive, not a folder, it correctly interprets this as D:\TurboTax.  The software does not allow you to directly key in the path. I guess selecting the root D: drive is what I have done previously, but didn't remember it this time.

Must install on C Drive?

@gregoryscottmoline Just a suggestion: You should mark your post as answered (i.e., click the Mark as Best Answer button) since it might help others looking to resolve the same issue. Thanks.

dmertz
Level 15

Must install on C Drive?

I've attached pictures showing installation to E:\TurboTax.  It seems that in addition to TurboTax installing the program in the user-selected directory and under C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit, TurboTax creates an empty directory at C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019, perhaps used to hold extracted installation files that are subsequently deleted or perhaps just so that a directory that actually exists can be displayed as the default location.

before.pngchanging.pngafter.pngresult.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies