Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marital discord ... well almost

I have used TT for more than 15 years and always use the Interview process.

I entered our stock info summary data from our brokerage statements.

On the brokerage statement there is boilerplate language saying that Form 8949 must be submitted.

My wife sees no Form 8949 and insists that I have bungled the data entry.  My view is that the TT Interview process prepares the equivalent information and during the electronic transmittal the IRS receives it. 

An explanation of why we do or do not see Form 8949 would be helpful.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

In most cases, if you have stock sales reported on Form 1099-B, you will get a Form 8949.

However if all your sales are classified as Category A or D, and none has any adjustments, such as Wash sales), the amount might only appear on Schedule D. 

If you don't have a Schedule D either and there are 1099-B transactions, there is something missing from your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I possibly did not understand what happens...

The Interview process does a good job -- enter summary data for each brokerage based on the 1099 B documents they supplied.   Apparently I do not have to actually fill out an 8949 because TT creates one from the interview.  Is that true?

Next issue is that brokerage 1 has a 8949 generated by TT but brokerage 2 does not have an 8949 generated.  How do I get the 8949 for brokerage 2 generated??

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does generate the 8949 form from the entry of your form 1099-B. However, there would only be one form 8949 on your tax return which summarizes all of your investment sales. So, maybe everything is on your form 8949 and you just didn't realize it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

YUP!!

One 8949 but both brokerages are on the part II area.  Congratulations -- marital discord has been eliminated.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies