turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

License Code Multiple Request by TT 2019 Desktop App

@lshaffer - The USB problem only pertains to removable drives, not USB devices such as a mouse. As to a patch to fix this, I doubt it, since I very recently had this problem. This problem seems to have a multitude of causes, only one of which is caused by the presence or absence of an external or removable storage device. Intuit needs to completely change the way they verify the installation.

Hello,

In January 2020 I downloaded 2019 TT premier version on PC with Windows 10. I had previously activated TT and completed some of my tax return. I began again this week and was prompted for license code which I no longer have, so I came to this forum. I restarted my computer and that did not help. I do not regularly have devices plugged into my USB drive, so I have plugged in anything that may have been connected in January when I downloaded TT. I plugged in external DVD drive, opened TT, and it asked for license code. I  plugged in external hard drive, opened TT, and it asked for license code. I plugged in an ethernet cable that is connected to my wireless router, restarted computer, opened TT, and it asked for license code. I have run out of ideas so I am going to call support to ask them to send me a new link to download TT. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

The consensus seems to be that MOST of the time it's one of two issues.

(A) Internet connectivity.  Be SURE your computer can see the internet.  Browse a few sites etc.

(B) Hardware, especially storage devices.  Be SURE you have EXACTLY the same hardware / drives plugged in as when you installed TTax the first time.  Did you have an external hard drive attached? Did you have ANY usb thumb drive attached? Did you have a different internal hard drive? etc

TTax online support I have found to be generally attitudinal and useless.  Worst case, buy TTax again, then dispute it with your credit card. Your tax files will still be there. 

lcmunk

Hey folks -

I did not get as far as using up the activation codes, but was prompted this morning for an activation code after opening and closing many times over the last 2 months with no issue.  YESTERDAY, I did accept a system update before e-filing my second return.  Today, I got the request for activation code, but came to this blog and also called TT [phone number removed] as posted above in the threads).  TT didn't know how to fix the problem, but I was reading the thread here about memory devices.

I PULLED OUT THE 2 USB THUMB DRIVES I CURRENTLY HAD IN MY PC, TRIED TO OPEN TURBO TAX AGAIN...  AND IT ***WORKED FINE***!    Not sure if this is the fix for everyone, but it worked for me.  Thanks for the tip, and good luck to others!

p.s. I also told my TT customer support agent on the phone that there are pages and pages of this issue, and very unhappy customers (she went to this blog) and suggested she escalate this issue immediately so they can get a fix in and hopefully save many others from encountering this issue.

Nothing worked for me. I paid for a new basic PC download and I will dispute the charge on my credit card. I made sure I had no USB drives or devices in my laptop when I downloaded the program. I am not going to close it until my tax return is done - I am afraid to have the same problem again.

@Lori2020 - Some advice for the future. Buy the CD version instead of the download. It contains the activation code printed  on a small instruction sheet inside the CD case. You can still use the code to buy it via download if your laptop lacks an optical drive, and you are less likely to lose the code if you need it again to activate. 

I have the same problem for months and I disconnect the external hard drive that attach to my computer and that fix my problem.

CD copies on Amazon cost more than the download.  And I used Amazon credit.  The root issue is Intuit needs to hire someone that isn't a 3 dollar a day offshore programmed.   What a crock

I had the same problem, 603 error.  There was a flash drive in a USB port unrelated to TT.  When I pulled it, the system launched normally.  It appears TT checks the computer's configuration including USB's and if it's different from when it was originally installed, the license code is requested, but fails.

fx99

Yes, just remove the flash drive. It's working. Thank you very much.

THANK YOU!   This worked.  I tried everything that everyone else posted in this thread, but nothing worked.

I must have had my external drive plugged into my usb port when I installed TT.   I could not get past the activation error.  I plugged my external drive back into my computer and clicked on TT program and it came right up with no errors this time.   I appreciate you posting this resolution. You saved my hours on the phone with TT and now I can file my taxes. 

AWESOME!! So glad you got it working.   I spent a couple hrs on the phone with customer service, who could not solve the issue and ended up loading it on my wife's computer... Until I figured out the problem!  I figured I was not the only one experiencing this problem and wanted to make sure I shared my solution with everyone! Glad to have saved you a headache! Good luck with the taxes. 

jcl9625
Returning Member

Did you find a solution?

I didn't. Others have reported that when they inserted or withdrew USB attachments or even discs so that the computer was exactly as it was when the program was installed, that worked but it didn't work for me.  My solution is to use the HR Block software next year. Despite the installation woes (as if that wasn't enough), the 2019 TT did not prepare WI returns properly - left out the WI Schedule WD unless I forced it. If you didn't know you had to do it, it wouldn't have included this important and $ saving schedule.

Thank you!!!!  I removed the USB thumb drive.  Open TurboTax again.  Head straight to my forms.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies