Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 or 1099-B in Turbo Tax

I sold my oil fund at loss in 2020. When importing from the broker, the transaction only has the proceeds amount with no cost base. I also have K-1 reporting the loss. 

Shall I remove the 1099-B entry and enter K-1 only in Turbo Tax? The broker probably has reported the proceeds to IRS. Look forward to your advice. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Do report the sale of your oil fund. If your broker sent a 1099-B, the IRS wants to see the sale on your tax return, regardless of whether the broker reported the basis to the IRS.

The K-1 section of TurboTax allows you to enter the sale. I’m assuming you sold a partnership interest.

• Go to Describe the Partnership in the K-1 partnership section
  • Check the box Disposed of a portion of my interest in partnership during 2020
  • On Tell Us About Your Sale, select Sold Partnership Interest
  • On Enter Sales Dates, enter the purchase and sale dates
  • On Enter Sale Information, fill in the boxes. The sale price (and possibly sales expenses) will come from your 1099-B. Your K-1 may have supplemental information showing the basis, ordinary gain and 1250 gain, as well as the AMT information
  • On Review Investment Gain or Loss on Sale, TurboTax will show you the result, which TurboTax will enter on Form 8949 and Schedule D
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Do report the sale of your oil fund. If your broker sent a 1099-B, the IRS wants to see the sale on your tax return, regardless of whether the broker reported the basis to the IRS.

The K-1 section of TurboTax allows you to enter the sale. I’m assuming you sold a partnership interest.

• Go to Describe the Partnership in the K-1 partnership section
  • Check the box Disposed of a portion of my interest in partnership during 2020
  • On Tell Us About Your Sale, select Sold Partnership Interest
  • On Enter Sales Dates, enter the purchase and sale dates
  • On Enter Sale Information, fill in the boxes. The sale price (and possibly sales expenses) will come from your 1099-B. Your K-1 may have supplemental information showing the basis, ordinary gain and 1250 gain, as well as the AMT information
  • On Review Investment Gain or Loss on Sale, TurboTax will show you the result, which TurboTax will enter on Form 8949 and Schedule D
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! It is helpful.

But I am still puzzled about how to calculate Partnership Basis, Ordinary Gain, and 1250 Gain from K-1. I cannot find the direct mapping. 

Any additional info on this? Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies