turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is this a bug? I am on TurboTax deskop app - already have (and paid for) Premium Service, yet it’s still asking me for it.

The long story is that, I paid for Deluxe State + Federal on Costco. After I installed the Desktop app and before I started filling, I realized I needed Premium, so I paid for that (~$30). Then I proceeded to file as usual. You can see in the first screen shot that I am on Premium as it only gives options to upgrade to Home & Business.Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 9.25.03 PM.png

Yet, right before I file, I’m choosing Direct Deposit, which is a Premium feature. But it’s asking me to pay for Premium AGAIN - which is $45. What can I do in this situation??

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 9.24.05 PM.png

Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is this a bug? I am on TurboTax deskop app - already have (and paid for) Premium Service, yet it’s still asking me for it.

@ taxuser3 

You are using the wrong terminology, which is what is confusing you.   The TurboTax Edition you upgraded to and are using is called PREMIER (not "Premium").  Premium Services is something different as I'll explain below.    Granted, those 2 terms (Premier and Premium) are similar and confusing.

There is no fee for direct deposit.   That's a free service provided by the IRS.  You do not have to buy Premium Services to get direct deposit.

If you are a California filer and chose to pay the 24.99 state efile fee out of your Federal refund, that payment option requires Premium Services Bundle, which is an additional 44.99.    Premium Services includes that payment method plus some additional features (see the FAQ below).  You can avoid Premium Services and that 44.99 fee by instead paying the 24.99 state efile fee upfront with credit/debit card.

FAQ:  What is the Premium Services bundle?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-premium-services-bundle/00/255...

So if you chose to pay your 24.99 fee out of your Federal refund, then back up to the Payment section, and see if you can get back to a payment screen to choose to pay by credit/debit card instead and avoid the 44.99 Premium Service fee.   Or if you didn't choose that "pay out of refund" method, just continue on to the next screen, and see if it will then have a screen to pay the 24.99 by credit/debit card. 

NOTE:  If you are asked to read and agree to a banking agreement for Premium Services, then you have gone too far and need to back up and go through that Payment section again to get to a credit/debit card screen.

Once you pay by card, that should remove the Premium Services fee.    Whatever you do, just don't proceed to actually efile (i.e., do not click on the "Transmit" button) until you are sure you have entered your card information and paid your 24.99 fee with a credit/debit card and thus removed Premium Services.

@taxuser3 

ADDENDUM:

I clarified some of my answer above to hopefully make it less confusing.  You were likely emailed the original answer, so please return to the forum to see the full info.

aaggg - Thank you so much! That helped clear me up - I've finished filing my taxes 🙂

Have a good day!!

@taxuser3 wrote:

aaggg - Thank you so much! That helped clear me up - I've finished filing my taxes 🙂

Have a good day!!

You're welcome.  I'm glad it worked.  Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies