Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the unemployment waiver update ready?

Checked on 3/19/21 and did not see any updates.  When I did update,  message  says my updates are up to date
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is still waiting on guidance from the IRS to implement the changes of the American Rescue Plan.  If you haven't filed then please sign up here to receive updates.

If your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is less than $150,000, then you can exclude up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation paid in 2020 from your taxable income.

If you have already filed then please do not amend your 2020 tax return, the IRS will soon provide taxpayers with additional guidance what to do. If you want to receive updates then please sign up here.

"For those who received unemployment benefits last year and have already filed their 2020 tax return, the IRS emphasizes they should not file an amended return at this time, until the IRS issues additional guidance." Please see IRS statement American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 for details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vingtsun
Returning Member

When are you going to update the Maryland taxes??  In January they announced that they were not going to tax unemployment insurance payments.  I am doing my son's taxes and all he has is unemployment and it shows he owes $40!!!!  That is after this mornings update.  When can we expect the Maryland update or do we need to go to H&R Block which has issued the update????

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We are showing that this should be updated for filing.  Please see the Help Article here for more details.   Are you using TurboTax Online?  If so, try this and see if this clears the issue for you.  Please log completely out of TurboTax.  Then, in your browser, please clear your cache and delete your cookies.  After this, close completely out of the browser.  Re-open everything including logging back into TurboTax.  Also, you can try completing your return in a different browser as well.  

For further instructions on how to clear cache and delete cookies, please see the links below:

Clear Cache

Delete Cookies

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vingtsun
Returning Member

I am using download version of turbotax and the maryland state taxes HAVE NOT been updated!  In january 2021 a no unemployment tax for 2020 and 2021 was passed.  Using turbo tax not only is my son's $1041 he paid not refunded it says that he owes and additional $40.

When is this going to be fixed????

Please understand that whenever the government (Federal or State) makes a change, TT must wait for them to issue guidelines/procedures; then program and test them; and then get the government's approval before releasing the update.  Sometimes changes are announced, but the necessary guidelines do not come for several weeks .

mb4-
Returning Member

what if we need to amend for another reason? like adding a dependent we forgot?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies