Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is anyone getting their State of Illinois e-filed returns repeatedly rejected?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies

For instructions fixing your rejected Illinois state return please see the FAQ below.

Note: After trying the below steps if you get the same rejection a second time and you see no mistakes on your return, select the file by mail option to paper-file your return. See: How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

See TurboTax FAQ (Scroll down to the solution section): https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3686230

Did you ever figure it out?? I’m still having this problem

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

There are many reasons why a state return can be rejected. What is your rejection code? Please check out this article on How do I fix a rejected return?

@nicoleashley721

@jennythedog

I’ve been having the same trouble, even after reviewing and trying both IL pin and state ID. TurboTax hasn’t been much help.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

What is your reject code?  Please also see the attached link above from KathrynG3

@mterrana

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi - I was getting the same error due to IL PIN or AGI. I essentially entered my Drivers License info in Turbotax. On the screen where it asked me to enter the AGI, i said I dont have that info. Turbotax then took me to a page to enter my IL PIN. I got the IL PIN from the https://mytax.illinois.gov/_/

I then entered that in Turbotax and submitted my returns. And finally my returns got accepted.

PS: The 2018 AGI I entered was accurate per the directions provided by Turbotax. I suspect the number IL is looking for is different than what Turbotax is suggesting, or the efiling process is buggy.

Hope this helps.

I ran into similar issue when I filed and transmitted IL state tax with TurboTax 2019. My taxes were rejected twice and in both cases I verified all information before transmitting the taxes to IL state. In my case, this what it complained about,

"IL1040-9900-2 - Please review and correct the Secondary taxpayer's signature requirements. At least one of the following signature fields must be present and valid on the Dept. Of Revenue's file: IL PIN, Prior Year AGI, Drivers License or State ID Number. (Note: The State ID or Driver License must be current and from IL.)

IL1040-10500-3 - This return could not be processed for electronic filing by Illinois because of an issue related to one or more of the methods used to validate the signature. If Form IL1040 'Filing Status' is equal to Married Filing Joint, all of the following Secondary Taxpayer Driver's License signature fields must be entered exactly as shown on the Illinois Drivers License or State ID. Enter each field exactly as it is on your IL Drivers License or state ID: First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Suffix (leave blank if necessary), and weight. You may not use an out-of-state or expired drivers license. If issues persist after making necessary corrections, you may need to print and mail your return."

To fix this issue, what I did was that I clicked on the "Forms" icon on the top right in the TurboTax application while reviewing my tax return application. It showed me actual tax forms. So, I went to IL State 1040 tax form and looked at mine and my spouse's driver license/state id info. I was surprised to see that it was partially filled for my spouse even though I made sure multiple times in the step by step guide before it transmitted our info. I entered my spouse's state id info correctly and saved the tax return application. I went back to the standard step by step guide mode and transmitted my taxes to IL State again. And this time, IL-state accepted my tax return. 

I hope this helps.

GAyers1

My State of Illinois e-filed return was also rejected- despite confirming that the prior year's AGI was correct as entered, and checking everything else. There were no data entry errors, and I was not able to figure out why it was rejected. I printed it out and will mail in. I think there's a problem with either Turbotax or with the State of Illinois authentication, since the fields I entered for e-file validation (past years AGI, PIN #s with the state, etc) were correct.

Yes. I live in Indiana but work in IL. My job take taxes out for IL only but this is the 3rd year in a row that IL has rejected my return. I don't understand how they don't understand the situation and I'm sure I am not the only one with this work situation. I have several co-workers who live in Indiana but work in IL as well. It won't accept my AGI saying it's not what IRS has recorded but turbotax input my AGI from last year's taxes because I filed through turbotax every year. This is so frustrating and I have yet to receive my return from IL from the previous two years.

I feel like if I had to print my return and mail it in then I shouldn't be charged the fee because I pay the fee to be able to e-file. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

The fee is actually not for e-filing.  It is for our program to assist in creating your return.  Sometimes, unfortunately, you are not able to e-file.  Please see the Help Article here for more details. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

@Prosperousdee --If you have an IL-PIN you can use it to e-file your Illinois return.  When you come to the Illinois e-fling page in TurboTax, you'll see a checkbox stating that you'd like to file using a different method.  Check that box, and a window will open with a box for entering your IL-PIN.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Select the box that says you don't have your previous AGI and enter either your IL PIN or ID Number and you should be good.

Mine got rejected THREE times, all the information was correct.  Once I selected the like box and entered our IL PINs it was accepted. 🙂

G12PEN25

Yeah past few years or more I always get rejected. Go figure I don't get my money from Illinois....they owe me about a thousand dollars by now. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies