Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

installing Turbo Tax (2022) on multiple computers

I bought a CD copy of Turbo Tax (deluxe) for tax year 2022. I installed this directly from the CD on one of our family's computers (a Mac).  Another family member then tried to install online on a separate Windows OS computer that does not have a CDROM drive. The Intuit Website did not seem to permit this and when we talked with the Help Desk, they claimed if you install from a CD, you cannot then install a separate copy online.  This seems to grossly contradict the clam that one is allow to install on multiple personally-owned computers and submit up to 5 returns on Federal efiles.  Last year we were able to do two separate installs although in each case I think this was online.

To me, if the Help Desk person was correct, this indicates fraud on the part of Intuit regarding advertising multiple installs. Or was the Help Desk person very wrong???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

You can download your software directly from TurboTax. But, keep in mind, you can't use both the CD and the download. For more information, please click here.

The claim is that you can do up to 5 returns/installs with the same product. You can do 5 returns with the CD you purchased or with the download product, but you cannot intermix them. That is do one install from the CD and then do a second from the download, both installs must be from the same product.

Well, it seems if one first installs from the CD on computer #1 (as I did) and your computer #2 does not have a CDROM drive, you are utterly screwed (and this is strictly regarding installing the same effective product, TurboTax 2022 Delux on multiple personal machines) as you are not allowed to do an online install on the 2nd machine. That is not made clear at all in the Intuit literature or on the CD product.

I find it hard to understand exactly why Intuit makes this distinction when claiming you can have installs on separate personal computers -- presumably the actual binary code is essentially the same whether installed from online or from a CD. To make it clear, the attempt at the online install on the second computer following the CD install on computer #1 was using my Intuit account.

If your computer does not have a CD drive then you should have ordered the download version. Apparently Intuit doesn't make this clear when ordering the product and they probably should.

Just to add another nugget of information. Last year there was a problem of first installing online onto a Mac and then trying a week or so later also installing *also online* to our Windows machine which required a call to Intuit support to make the 2nd installation work. So that Is why I decided to do our Mac (which does have a CDROM drive) install happen from the CD and then do the second install online to the CDROM-less Windows machine. It was never made clear last year both installs had to be online given the absence of a CDROM on the second machine.

For over 8 years I have always bought the CD in order to have a physical media copy in case of hard drive failure or need in the future to reinstall an old version. Buying the CD does not rule out an online installation -- just a mixture of CD&online installs.

try this - no guarantee - if you have a flash drive (using USB port). copy the files from the CD to the flash drive and then give the drive to the relative and they may be able to install from there.  I do not know if a different OS will cause an issue in registering the product on the Windows PC.  

You can always install an external CD drive on the computer that does not have one. They are available on Amazon for about $15 - $20.

Somara1

Now I understand, I have the same problem, I installed by the CD, my new computer doesn't have CDROM, and have been impossible for me to install it, I consider myself deserved, Intuit must be more explicit. 

Carl
Level 15

if you have a flash drive (using USB port). copy the files from the CD to the flash drive and then give the drive to the relative and they may be able to install from there.

Doesn't work that way cross-platform unfortunately.When copying to a flash drive on a MAC, you only get the MAC installation files on the flash drive. LIkewise, when copying to USB on a windows computer, you only get the windows installation files on the flash drive.
You would need to use a windows computer with a flash drive, to copy the CD to it, so another windows user can install it from the flash drive.
But external USB CD/DVD ROM drives are cheap on Amazon. Got mine for less than $20.

dave0292338
Returning Member

To install TurboTax (2022) on multiple computers, purchase additional licenses for each device. After buying the required licenses, follow the installation       buy miracle smile        instructions provided. If you encounter any issues during the process, contact TurboTax customer support for assistance. And remember, buy miracle smile for a stress-free tax season!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies