Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inmate stimulas

Asking for a friend: Where filing for the Cares credit makeup for the stimulas 1,2 and the 3rd when filing the 2020 should we be using the Correctional Facility Address for the Inmate or Home Address??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Inmate stimulas

If he has a home address, use that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Inmate stimulas

How do I file the stimulus for my incarcerated son but he did not file a tax return 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Inmate stimulas

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit. 

  

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following: 

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off 

2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen 

3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue 

4. Follow the interview 

5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus 

6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040. 

Inmate stimulas

@Darknlovely47  wrote:

How do I file the stimulus for my incarcerated son but he did not file a tax return 

Technically, your son must file by mail and sign his own return, if he has no access to a computer and can't e-file.

You have two options, both require his signature.  

1. Prepare a return for him, print it, bring it to him for his signature.  (I suppose you could mail it to him if the mails are secure.).  Once he signs, he or you mails the return to the IRS.  If he has no taxable income, he won't be filing a state tax return, just a federal return.

2. Print and mail him a form 2848, power of attorney.  He signs it, and mails it back to you.  You print his return, sign your own name on the return and write "POA" next to it, and include the form 2848 when you mail the return.  Form 2848 is what you would call a "limited" power of attorney.  It only gives you authority to file his tax return and to deal with the IRS if they have any issues, it does not give you POA over any other aspect of his life.  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-2848

If you already have a POA from your son, you don't need form 2848 (although the IRS still prefers it).  You can file by mail and include a copy of the POA.

If using Turbotax online, the return should be free if he does not have any taxable income.  You will need a different account (set up a new account with a different user name and password from the account you use for your own return).  Turbotax will tell you that it is not allowed to e-file a return with zero income, that's ok because you need to print and mail the return anyway, using one of the two methods I described. 

Inmate stimulas

I would like tofile for my sons stimulus package. He is incarserated in s.e.c.c. in charleston mo

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Inmate stimulas

@Mchlmsgrve The best thing to do would be for you to prepare his tax return on TurboTax and mail it to him for his signature and then he just needs to mail it to the IRS. You can enter his or your address on the return, which ever individual you want to receive the check.

Jsetoyant

Inmate stimulas

My brother asked me to file his tax return as he is incarcerated. Would I need to set up a Turbo Tax account for him to start on his filing?

Inmate stimulas

@Jsetoyant wrote:

My brother asked me to file his tax return as he is incarcerated. Would I need to set up a Turbo Tax account for him to start on his filing?

Does he have computer access?  If so, he can file himself.  

If not, there are 3 ways you can prepare a return for him.  The two "official" ways are listed first, but both require his signature.

1. Prepare a return for him, print it, bring it to him for his signature.  (I suppose you could mail it to him if the mails are secure.).  Once he signs, he or you mails the return to the IRS.  If he has no taxable income, he won't be filing a state tax return, just a federal return.

2. Print and mail or bring him a form 2848, power of attorney.  He signs it, and mails it back to you.  You print his return, sign your own name on the return and write "POA" next to it, and include the form 2848 when you mail the return.  Form 2848 is what you would call a "limited" power of attorney.  It only gives you authority to file his tax return and to deal with the IRS if they have any issues, it does not give you POA over any other aspect of his life.  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-2848

Now, because paper filed tax returns are so backlogged this year, you may want to e-file.  There is no official way for you to e-file for him, since he must "sign" his return electronically himself, and if he doesn't have computer access, he can't do that.  However, if you created an account in his name, and prepared and signed the return in his name, the IRS probably won't care or find out, unless someone complains.  So option 3 would be,

3. Make a new turbotax online account in his name.  Prepare and file a return.  You may need to create $1 of "other income" or fake bank interest if he does not have any other income, because you can't e-file a return with zero income.  To sign, you need a 5 digit e-file PIN.  This will either be the PIN he selected the first year he e-filed, or it will be his income from last year's tax return.  If he did not file a 2019 tax return, try zero as the PIN.  If the IRS rejects the e-file attempt due to an incorrect PIN, you will probably have to print a return and have him sign, using method 1 or 2.

In all cases, you should use an address where you want a check mailed—if he trusts you, this should probably be your address and not the prison address.  If he still has an outside bank account, you can do direct deposit, but if not, you will have to get a check in the mail, and then take it to him to endorse so you can cash it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies