turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@olechka79 

I understand it’s frustrating. For me I have 2 kids with my husband, and he has 2 kids from his first marriage, which are adults now. We were suppose to get 3400, 2400 for couple and 1000 for our children together. 1700 was dispersed to back due child support (50%) 4/30 was our deposit date. We got nothing. Child support received 3400, 1700 which they sent to her on 7/7/2020. From what I understand my portion  was sent to Bureau of fiscal Services. It doesn’t matter that only 1200 was considered his portion. She got half even though that 500 was meant for one of the babies. Hope this helps. 

reekid
Returning Member

I spoke with the IRS on Monday 7/27 and was told there is an issue with the 8379 form not processing correctly.  They cannot process the stimulus or returns until they figure out the issue. Told me to watch for updates on the website. 

They pretty much told me that my portion of the stimulus check was just floating around in cyberspace and they couldn't do anything about it.

I filed an injured spouse form. It was completed 6/17. I got my income tax refund on 7/18. Our stimulus was offset 4/15 and her cs got it 5/08. I still haven't gotten mine and my stepsons part of the stimulus. CS knows an IS form was filed cause my wife went and told them via their chat portal Tuesday. Idk what to do The Taxpayer Advocate says they can't help cause they have no rules regarding the offset of the stimulus and the oags office is no help either. The irs says I can claim it on my taxes next year if I don't get it this year but technically I was already sent a payment this year.

I've tried looking up info on the IRS website and I can't  find anything has anyone see anything  new?

The irs took my stimulus check for my husband's back child support. Not my debt. I filed injured spouse 

iwantitnow2020
Returning Member

It looks like we fall into #2 on this list. So fingers crossed we actually see movement in the right direction in the next couple of weeks!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2020/08/06/missing-or-wrong-stimulus-check-help-for-so...

"#2 Those individuals who filed Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation (or can complete and return the Form 8379) and did not receive their portion of the stimulus checks. Typically, you are an injured spouse if your share of your tax refund as shown on your joint return was, or is expected to be, applied against your spouse’s past-due federal debts (including student loans), state taxes, or child or spousal support payments. Since the CARES Act made it clear that the only reason a stimulus check might be offset was for past-due child support, many spouses had their share of the stimulus checks yanked."

"For individuals who fall into those categories, the IRS will begin making direct deposits and mailing checks in the upcoming weeks. If you have already received part of your stimulus check and you qualify for an additional payment, that payment generally will be made in the same manner as before. However, if you previously received your stimulus check on a debit card, the reissued stimulus check will be sent via paper check."

TMG5
Level 2

@iwantitnow2020 So do I have to contact the tax advocate for them to work on my case or is it already established? Thanks in advance for the response.

iwantitnow2020
Returning Member

It sounds like to me the IRS is automatically resolving the 5 issues listed in the article . And if you fall inside of those descriptions and you do not receive by end of August. (I read another article on Market Watch this morning that specifically stated "by Oct 15th" but even the reporter said the IRS rep couldn't explain why they offered that specific date.) Than you should contact the Tax Advocate. I think I am gonna contact TAS just to be safe though

@iwantitnow2020 I read what you posted last night, but I am not holding my breath. Hell, the worse has already happened, and that is I haven't received payment, Lol. At least we now know someone's eyes are on us. If I get it before next year, great. If not, I will make sure I collect it when I file my taxes. 🙄🤦‍♀️🙏

I think I am going to contact the TAS as well instead of waiting around to see if this actually gets resolved. Yall, we have been waiting almost 4 months! Thank you for sharing this news!

Here is the problem.... I will not be required to file a tax return in febuary 2021 because we no longer have earned income in my household... so then what?? What are they doing to prevent this from happening again??? I don't know about everybody else but not getting this money really took a hit on my house. I mean I could really use that money... you could owe everyone on this earth and get the stimulus but if you owed CS god forbid you ain't getting **bleep**

If you are an Injured Spouse with a Form 8379 for the return used to calculate your stimulus check and your portion was withheld, you don't need to do anything just yet. The IRS is reissuing the Injured Spouse's share of the stimulus check if it was erroneously withheld. If you have not received a check for the portion attributable to you by the end of August, you can call the TAS.

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/news/nta-blog-need-help-with-economic-impact-payment-issues-how-tas...

If you are an Injured Spouse but do not have a Form 8379 for the return used to calculate your stimulus check and your portion was withheld, you need to fax or mail a completed Form 8379 as soon as possible (you can find out more about Injured Spouse here and you can download Form 8379 here). If, after you submit the form, you have not received a check for the portion attributable to you by the end of August, you can call the TAS.

I called the Irs yesterday.They told me that I had to call the child support agency to whom my husband owes.

I called them this morning. The Child support agency said that they will hold on to my portion of the stimulus for  6 months util the IRS sends a letter to them to release my portion of the funds.

Thanks for the info

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies