Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@ELeone Can you please provide a link to where the IRS states on their website that if the stimulus was not received it would need to be claimed on taxes during 2021 filing? I can't see how this would be a resolution to the issue since they already cut our stimulus payments in half and it would only get intercepted again via taxes. 

I personally have been trying to sort this thing out and have been sent in circles a few times now. I have a tax advocate but she hasn't been able to do much more for me than I can do for myself unfortunately, as much as I appreciate her efforts. 

I spoke to the child support office and they said they did not have my stimulus payment and to contact the IRS. I contacted the IRS and they said that they did not have it in their system and that child support has both mine and my husband's as of April this year. I spoke to another contact of mine at the child support office and they said that it is the Depart of Health and Human Services in Washington, DC that is holding all of our checks while they make a decision with the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, Child Support Enforcement, and the IRS as far as how they should go about dispersing the checks - whether sending them back to the IRS to get to us or sending them to child support to let them deal with sending them to us. 

This is all the info I have so far. Will update as I learn more. 

TMG5
Level 2

@TMarie918 Your situation sounds almost identical to mine. I’ve been checking the IRS website daily for any updates and nothing. I’ve called and I’ve been put in so many circles to hears the same responses. I emailed my state senator as some people say they’ve done and I haven’t received an answer and that was a month ago yesterday.I don’t know what else to do. I look forward to your updates.

I'm confused why would it com next tax season I filed my taxes with injured spouse as normal  I received my taxes before this whole covid bs. So then with the  stimulus  I was to get 3400 but my husband  owes back pay hence why in file injured spouse. We got a mail just in his name saying 1700 went to child support  we got one in both our names saying 1700 went to back pay.  Then we all found it was a glitch  and the irs dont know how to fix this basicly. Those that have back child support dont matter with living even though everyone else got the stimulus  including the other families but not the children  and families with the CS debt. ANYWAYS I can't get any information  from anyone . But why would i have to wait til next year when they already took my stimulus  I am the only income but my husband  owes the debt hence again why I file IS form with my taxes for the last 10 years  any way to get anything of valid information  IRS has stopped updating things 

In this day and age of electronic everything how is this possible? I feel like we are really getting the run around and I am about the blow my top!

@mtmberry03 im so over it i stopped calling. i was calling once a  week like clock work only to get a different answer from every person i spoke to . i even spoke to a guy in the injured spouse dept.. he told me not to fill out another injured spouse form and that the issue was going to be corrected he just wasnt sure when. But the person that transferred me to him told me to fill out another injured spouse just in case. because the injured spouse form only covered 2019 taxes. it does not cover 2020 stimulus payment. sooooo you see ... blowing your top isnt gonna work. ive tried that. i even thought about divorcing my husband behind this and its not even his fault smh .  im sick of sitting on hold. and on top of all this.. talks about another stimulus is causing me anxiety. what if the same thing happens again? i dont think i can handle that. 

There is no link or update on the irs site. This was information I got when I called.

Hi there, I was told same thing. I am looking at the US dept of treasury website, and it states there if you’re eligible but haven’t received one you can claim on 2020, or call the IRS economic payment hotline. Which I am sure we all have and still nothing.....

Hello, I did not file the injured spouse form in 2019 because we owed on our taxes and were not expecting a refund. Should I file one now since my portion of the stimulus check was used for my husbands past due child support?

Yes. It's worth a shot. 

I am over it. I have accepted that I will never see that money. I don't agree with them taking half when they should only keep $1200. IRS has reported they are working on it, but that's been months now!  We are going into August, and I still haven't seen half of the total amount. I don't care about the so-called second stimulus check because I feel the same thing will happen. The last time the entire would receive a stimulus, you had to report it on your taxes so I will wait until then. At least I know I will get all my money back because I always file an injured spouse as I am not the one who owes child support.

@Shadrake, now I am curious how do you claim it on 2020 to get the full amount. I also don't agree that half of my child's payment was taken. But do you claim it as a credit for the full amount owed to you and your child? Unless they change the 1040 in 2020 to include this explicitly, I am at loss where it would be reported to get the full benefit of the stimulus. Sorry if this is too CPA of a question, but those who accepted that it will be a 2020 item, how do you plan to do on the return? Thank you in advance! 

It will probably be a check box asking if you received it. I am not sure what you mean by full amount. In 2008 during that stimulus, injured spouses are only entitled to half. Doesn’t matter who it was meant for. If you have a spouse with back child support the stimulus is split 50/50. 50 for arrears and 50 to the injured spouse. 

@olechka79 I don't file a paper form,  always file using turbo tax. As I mentioned before the last time the entire world received a stimulus payment, a question was asked if I received the payment and the amount I received. At the time, I wasn't married, so I did not have any issues getting it. I am assuming this will happen next year.  The government doesn't care if they did this would be mute. They fail to understand these people in this situation is hurting if not more than those who received their money. 

@Becks80 , I meant full amount due to me and my child without my husband's $1200, but including my child's $500. Half of which was taken unfairly, as it was for everyone. And in many cases, the second marriage had more kids than the first, so that must have been a big blow to these families (not my case with only one kid). The whole thing is very frustrating. 

@Shadrake , I don't even remember that there was a stimulus in 2008 🙂 But yes, I was single then, so I must have received it. I only paper filed in 2018 because of the natural disaster extension in my area, and after that TurboTax did not accommodate the e-filing. But never doing it again for sure. Thanks for everyone's comments! I figured they would have to put something on the form regarding this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies