Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Drie
Level 4

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@gloria12 You are not lone dear just keep your head up don’t let money ruin your happiness of being alive and having an amazing family. 

I am right there with you! You can thank Trump for this! He is the one who set it up this way. It's amazing to me that people who owe federal tax liens didn't get garnished but yet people who owe back support did. That's bull crap. I'm sorry but my son does not deserve to go through this because my husband owes back support for his daughter that's now in her 20s which he pays monthly for. The government needs to step up instead of saying oh well injured spouses you have to wait the normal 8 -12 weeks for processing. What is that good for then? 

Sadly we don't have any "classes" to educate folks that BEFORE you get married you need to discuss your income tax health and  prior debts that may affect the spouse.  Many go into marriage blinded by LOVE and don't realize the mess they are in until it is too late.  In my practice when clients say they are engaged I quickly educate them as to what may be issues and encourage them to have those hard conversations while something can be done about them. 

Drie
Level 4

@Mdavila25 I agree highly with you , I just said the exact thing to my husband this morning. We know there are people out there that are terrible fathers and heartless. But, just for once they could have stopped thinking about people debts and see that the people of the world are struggling and even the worse fathers deserved the monies. To alleviate the fathers that have always been active in their children’s lives whether it was money or time spent. We, live in a corrupt system we can only trust ourselves to do what is Leary’s bet for our families period.

Drie
Level 4

@Critter I agree education should be given. But this will be another form of control by the government. You can’t help who you fall in love with an marry. Many have balances due to the greed of the children’s family and government. And many have balances because they just didn’t pay. Regardless of what the stimulus was to help not to dictate who deserved it or not. 

Our stimulus was taken May 15 in the amount of 1200 then I recieved a letter signed by Trump saying I was sent 1200...shouldn't it say 2400 or is it because they only took 1200..if they only took 1200 then wheres my half that's showing deposit since May 15 ? This is so sad and being the wife gets you and the new kids punished 

I'm sure 99 percent of us was well aware of our spouses debts. That's why we was smart enough to file Injured Spouse forms. This mistake is not on us. It's on the IRS and Department of the Treasury. 

If you filed with a spouse then it's 2400. Child support took it all. If you filed a Injured Spouse form then the person who does not owe the child support will get their 1200. Trump's stupid letter is irrelevant. He didn't deposit to you, it was intercepted by child support. Now we wait on our 1200. It's going to take months. 

@Beebo7874 

I will! My husband has SOLE CUSTODY of my step son. We have had him for 2 years. He found out he was his son when he was 9!!!! His grandmother had custody because the mom was unfit. She put him on child support when we out he was his. Right when my husband found out we did everything we need to, to get him from his grandmother. Well she kept him on back pay. He is still paying. We have 4 other kids besides my step son. They took our whole stimulus check for his back pay already got the letters. Child support is awful! Especially when the dad is involved! 

loftonsm

Same situation only worst because our apartments decided to change the mailboxes and mail was displaced for a week! I just got my letter of owed child support instead of the paper check of help I expected! If injured spouse was filed with 2018 why would you take the whole stimulus? I'm glad some was able to be helped...

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you on this at all. If that was the case then no one would remarry. It is the system that is wrong and blinded. They cannot see in favor of the new spouse, they only see an ex crying and complaining and putting a whole show to get money. It is not blind love it is a messed up system.  Everyone is entitled to remarry and it shouldn't cause financial hardship to the new spouse, if the other spouse owes than he should be held liable not the new spouse and kids, and the system should be fixed to be that way. 

@MeMe25 Truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we been happily married 12 yrs. found out 4 yrs ago my husband has a son in another state hes 15 and we've never met him!!! my husband has never met him. when the baby mama found out she was pregnant she moved to mississippi with her family and never told my husband. so we are punished! hes been faithfully paying child support. he tried to build a relationship with the kid but all they want is money!!  so now $4400 from our stimulus is going to him and his mother! doesn't matter that we have 4 kids in our home!!! ive been pissed off about this since april 15th. the day our money was supposed to arrive. i am going called TOP treasury EVERYDAY until somebody from somewhere can provide us with the right answers. I called today and the lady said every call she takes is about stimulus money going to child support.  i check the irs website EVERYDAY...i see updates for everything else but SPOUSES and CHILD SUPPORT. so i guess wives and children of husbands paying child support dont matter!!! i want to be heard.. i need to be heard!!!! because this soooooooooooooooooooooooo F'd up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DP01
Level 3

I tried to post a link to an article at nj.com, but it didn't post, so maybe we can't do that here, but anyway...

this is the first article I have seen that is a true description of what is happening.  Google:  "some stimulus payments wrongly withheld for back child support, taxpayers say" to read the article.

@janettealba are you talking about the people who are on childsupport and they took the whole families stimulus check or are you talking about the person receiving the child support who is going to get the whole families stimulus check?

Congress goes back in session next week.  They and the senate approved for child support to be the only fee exception in getting the Stimulus check.  I contacted both my senator and congressman to complain and investigate why it's taking so long to process the injured spouse form.  I have heard back from both.  If enough of us complain they have to address it.  Please contact your congressman and senator and let them know how this is affecting the people of their communities.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies