turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

For those that filed Injured Spouse with their 2019 taxes, and your taxes were seized by Child Support, contact your local Tax Advocate. The Local Tax Advocate will look at your case and let you know what to do. As for filing a second Injured Spouse, my local Tax Advocate states I did not have to file one. Right now, the government is not fully opened. This has created a situation where leadership on Injured Spouse is not fully available. As soon as the government opens back up, instructions will be provided to the Tax Advocacy Service on what to do. File Form 911, Requesting Tax Advocacy Services by faxing your completed form to your Local Tax Advocacy. If you do not have a fax machine, I downloaded an app on my phone called Turbo Fax, and I faxed the documents straight from my phone. I hope this information helps. This is a rough situation to be in, and it appears to have happened nationwide. I called my Senator’s office today and left a message. They called me back this evening and stated that once the government opens back up, if the situation is not resolved, to let them know, and they would help me open up a case. They are aware this is happening though. Contact the Senator for your state as well. 

I am trying to complete the innocent spouse form to get the stimulus check that has been offset. What tax year should i put on the form?

@Mohall2020 Did you file one with your taxes

How can their treatment not be considered discrimination? It’s singling out one group of ppl and treating that group different causing harm to this singled out group. I feel they could care less if we can eat or have a home to be in. Like we are less of a person because of owing child support most can’t even afford to pay. My ex already talked to attorney general and filled out the paperwork they sent him thru email to forgive all back child support. Before a single check was written or sent but did it make a difference? Hell no they took my husbands tax refund completely and now as of 17 th the whole 2400 in stimulus. Leaving us nothing. I have sent in the injured spouse form but who knows if this is even gonna be looked at either? My ex has called bk again to get this done and they again went over u know u won’t be getting anything anymore blah blah blah. My youngest now has her own children and my oldest is over 30 years old. They have added so much interest almost $5,000 on my amount I owed. They make it so you can never catch up. What now? With nothing opened nobody able to go bk to work enough everyone will be behind in payments. Next we will be punished for that too. I so wished we could all sue them. Or at least our children could 

I am soooo over this injured spouse mess. I file IS every year but this year with this COVID stimulus, everything is screwed up and it sucks because you can't call and speak with anyone at IRS. So just like most file IS but still recieved the 2 TOP offset letters for both parts of stimulus. I understand to just wait for that to clear and we should get our portion. OK but my regular taxes seem to be f$!&ed up.... Wheres my refund say sent and transcript show code 846 refund 4/22. Nothing. Checked today.... Wheres my refund and trans show code 898 offset !! Arrggg they are playing and I'm frustrated to tears. I ready to just file separate and deal with that. This is  the worst 😡

We afte in the same boat. I contacted our state senator to complain and sent an email to cnn to do a story. Please help to put pressure on them to make some changes.

@Gisele I did file an 8379 with my 2018/2019 taxes. I already mailed in another 8379 to the IRS again because that’s what I read on the letter is to do so...I’m hoping this is not going to confuse them, but I’m still waiting on my return to be released. I filed Feb 5th, 2020. Do you know if they ARE still truly processing returns? Also will they pay me interest for processing my electronic return for more than 11 weeks? 

@Rahdee I’m in the same boat...we have 4 children, I’m on maternity leave with no pay...stimulus went towards his previous 21 year old...my kids are suffering & I filed out the injured Spouse Form 2018/2019...on top of that it’s been past 11 weeks and all my refund says is it’s been received and processed. All we can do is pray and wait on God to move. We have to pray & be patient...I say that lightly...I was mad, frustrated, & crying also but guys it’s unfortunately nothing we can do...sad that this is America...bc if we were to owe them then they’d be quick to garnish our wages. Etc. I’ll keep everyone posted...but let’s all hang in here. Honestly I heard it may take until September so guys it is what is what it is. Please stay calm & LOVE and encourage one another. 

Drie
Level 4

@alaraeh Best words I read today good luck and you are not alone as you said all we can do it wait🙏🏾

You aren't going to get any interest. Lol. From what I was told the department that takes care of the Injured Spouse forms has very few at home workers therefore it's taking longer to process. The IRS updated their website and it states you do not have to file another IS form. 

Alexisl45

If my  husband own back. Child support and .Can my wife get some here money back yes or no

@Alexisl45 Yes. If he/she filed an 8379 Injured Spouse Form.

Savvy129
Returning Member

I had to file injured spouse due to my husband's student loans how does this affect the payment process of my stimulus check? From what IRS said on their website it said each spouse would get a sperate payment. Could someone shed some light on how long it will take and how the payment will be sent?

I so agree with you.! They claim my husband never owed back but still took everything. You are not alone. I have shed many tears myself. His ex actually tried to get child support when they were married and living together. Smh...it's very sad how low people will go. He was paying for her fraudulent schemes. Not anymore!

Yes. Was there a injured spouse form filed with the taxes? If not that needs to be done.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies