Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

What if the injured spouse form for the 2019 return was granted and or awarded??? Like I said my stimulus check was suppose to be deposited on the 15th and nothing. This is not my debt and this is not money to repay their debt. It is to take care of my kids. The government already approved the injured spouse so why hasn't the funds hit my account

So my husband owes child support arrears from way back when which we have paying down every year. The kids are grown and there are no current payments due. But we do have 2 little kids ourselves together and nobody talks what happens to the stimulus payment for the dependents, the $500 if the husband owes child support and I file injured spouse. Do I only get my $1200 and the kids $500 is taken away to pay the ex who has no little kids anymore? Or is only the husbands money offset after I file my injured spouse or is the payment just cut in half?  Let's say we should get $3,400 (2 x 1,200  +  2 x 500) so we get only 1,700 after I file injured spouse and half of the whole payment is offset to the ex? But why not keep all the money for the dependents, the $500? Why do the little kids have to suffer which we have now together? The exes kids are grown and out of the house and the arrears are not very high yet still higher than the $1,700 so it is all offset what they usually offset. They say the ex needs it but not thinking the child support arrears are for a very old debt which are slowly being paid off so there are no underage kids involved anymore. But there are little kids who need the $500 and at least half is stolen from them!! While this is ok any other time and I understand and deal with it every year without complain in a PANDEMIC which never happend in our lifetimes, an extraordinary situation, this is absolutely thoughtless and heartless towards the kids of the current marriage!! We need it for food , we need it to survive! The ex is getting her stimulus check AND my husbands but why are is the IRS taking the money from my little kids as well? Shame on the IRS, Shame on the administration who did not think about this. Shame. And shame of being so slow and let us wait just to offset it. There should be NO offset right now and everybody should get their check to have it for food and SURVIVAL.  Thanks I am debt free but I am dead of starvation.... 

I feel for all of you and the children who are suffering including my son! This treasury department should have made this completely untouchable from any organization! Crappy part is we are in the same boat, except child support says we owe nothing and can't figure out why our money has been offset last 4 years. But the online child support website claims he still owes back over $2,400 but yet they just took $7800 from us. That was including the stimulus. The website also states his monthly payment is $575. How can Orange County Child support office not see this?? They claim it's a glitch in the computer. They already claim they have to pay back my husband over $10,000 as of two months ago due to them taking 50% of his disability due to another "glitch" since 2018. They told me to file this year and everything should be fine now. Smh, it's a total scam! How could he be behind with taxes being offset 4 years in a row, plus them taking his disability and now my stimulus and federal taxes. The children's mother by the way has never seen a dime of what they have ever offset from us. It has all gone to the child support payroll department. We do have joint legal/physical custody of these children. It's a fraud and child support agency's need to he investigated. I have tried to reach out to local news about this. Thousands are suffering!! The Treasury Department who issued stimulus needs to be notified! This isn't about some stupid injured spouse form. This was considered stimulus money due to a pandemic!!!

Same here....Exactly suppose to be deposited on April 15th. I do see two letters in my mail box from US Treasury. Looking forward to them to say the least.  

Also I called US Treasury offset and recording stated he is not on a offset. So with that said hoping and praying the letter is positive. 

Me too... My son's dad owes over $50k. Won't get a job unless it's under the table, never goes to jail has been given the opportunity to be in his son's life... nothing. My husband's BM won't let him be a part of his life or meet his siblings. Always pays when she doesn't get him locked up. Aunt used to work for CS and jacked his payments or erased them from the system... And before he was out in the system was taking good care of him but since he doesn't want her he goes through it....I file injured spouse every year and they took ALL ours. My kids too. Had two letters from IRS saying they took it. One with just his name and one with both.

Even if you're in good terms with the ex, when it comes to money people can become very very greedy. I recently tried contacting my spouse's ex as I thought we were in good terms. She replied by telling me me to stop f#####g bugging her. LA child support also needs to be investigated as they don't even check if the person filing is telling the truth. Aside from committing child support fraud she committed fraud with immigration. It is not fair that the present spouse and kids has to pay for their spouse's mistakes. I have two young kids and daughter of my own who will not see that money because the ex will get it. This can get anyone mad. I already filed IS form, once they get it and put in the system it takes 8 weeks for a response but might take longer now. I truly hope we all receive our share, IRS, BFS and Child Suppport agencies need to work together to figure a best resolution for this ongoing issue.

SAME HERE!!!  2 payments were sent to Offset, called and verified with automated TOP.  Have filed IS every year for 10 years including this year, I always receive my portion.  But not this stimulus.  It was split in half which is correct, Stimulus is split in half no matter income or dependents.  So part of the system was correct however, somehow someone made a huge mistake (IMO) and SSN were associated with the CS spouse.  We can only hope they correct it sooner than later.

The IRS should send a letter in about 2 weeks explaining the amount of payment and instructions how to dispute it if incorrect.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I totally agree. I have two kids as well and bills  that are coming due. Why in the world would the government put this in place and cause much confusion. Now me and my children have to suffer, so not fair. It is a shame that the IRS is not even taking calls to rectify this. 

Which number did you call to find this information? I tried calling the treasury and I just get the runaround and can’t get anyone on the phone

This is my first year filing an injured spouse claim because we were recently married so this is all new to me. How long does it generally take to receive your refund? I filed March 2 and have kept checking his child support login to see if his ex-wife has been given any of our return which she hasn’t. I also received both letters one for him and one for me and at first was hopeful that she was getting half and I was getting the other half but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

@Michelleb1480 wrote:

This is my first year filing an injured spouse claim because we were recently married so this is all new to me. How long does it generally take to receive your refund? I filed March 2 and have kept checking his child support login to see if his ex-wife has been given any of our return which she hasn’t. I also received both letters one for him and one for me and at first was hopeful that she was getting half and I was getting the other half but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

About 11 weeks if e-file and 14 weeks of paper filed NORMALLY but the IRS is not processing mail at all currently and any hand processing that the 8379 requires is almost stopped.  So no telling how long.

**********************************************************************************************
**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus the IRS is operating short staffed. All field offices are closed and some processing centers are all but closed. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Mailed returns are not being processed at all at this time. Most phone service has been curtailed.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue
**********************************************************************************************

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am so sorry you are here with us in this boat. The ex wife will not get the money so quickly in her hand. It takes a few months in my case. They IRS first calculates the amount the ex gets and then they apply it to you child support account and only after a a month it gets sent to ex as a check in my experience. So it is a slow process on BOTH ends. Yours as the injured spouse and the exes. At least it is so in my state.  I filed injured spouse with an extended tax return for 2018 in Oct 2019 (extended till Oct 15th) and I still do not have my part of the Return. I called in March and they said call if you have nothing in 30 days and then there was the virus and the IRS is unreachable. So I do not think its going to be that fast this year but who knows. I just know people often had to wait in past a long time for their injured spouse part sometimes 6 months. Maybe they do it quicker this year because it is a stimulus payment and not just your income tax refund. But when I heard they offset it for child support arrears I was shocked because I know it takes ages to get that back even if the injured spouse is filed with the return. This is nuts. This supposed to be emergency money yet it gets done in this slow bureaucratic manner. Shame on everybody. We need to complain and complain on Twitter, call people, protest. This is bad, really bad. People think they gonna get their injured spouse money quickly and they will not! I do not think so. If anybody of you guys got their injured spouse money part please let me know how long it took and how much did you get back compared to percentage of your income share on tax return between you and spouse!

It takes a long time to distribute to you and the ex. She has to wait too which is nuts.

If anyone sees any media coverage of the injured spouse problem please share here. I feel like that is the only want anyone in the bureaucracy is going to care about what their decisions are doing to us. I feel even more injured. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies