turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KLL5
Returning Member

IND-031-04

I tried to file my 2019 return and got an IND-031-04 error...back in April.  So, I printed it out and mailed it in, in early May.  I still haven't gotten a refund and when I go to the IRS site, there is no record of it being processed.  So, I tried again to submit it electronically and get the same error, IND-031-04, even though the AGI matches what I filed last year.  the error references a self-select PIN -- I don't have a PIN, or if I do, I don't know what it is and if that is causing the issue, but I have a fairly large refund due and I want to get this resolved.  Any recommendations on how to fix so that they IRS will accept an electronic submission?  The AGI that I put in matches exactly last years return, so I can't understand why it's being rejected. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
erinm0717
Expert Alumni

IND-031-04

Hello!

Here is a great link which explains this rejection and how to handle this: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-031-04-or-ind-032-04-the-agi-or-...

However, if you already printed and mailed I would not efile again.  This can cause another rejection. I would call the IRS to see if they received the return and what the status of the refund is.  Here is the number for the IRS: 800-829-1040.

If they have not received the return, you can mail it again or follow the efile instructions in the link above.  Hope that helps!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KLL5
Returning Member

IND-031-04

I've done all of what you suggested, so while I appreciate your response, it doesn't help.  I called the IRS and the message I get on the status of my refund is "we cannot provide any information about your refund".  And, I don't think I should file it again using the same AGI (which matches last year's AGI) and expect to get different results -- it'll just be rejected again.  So frustrating.  I assume I will have to figure out how and where to go to an actual IRS office or talk with someone on the phone at the IRS (don't even know if they actually have people to take calls).  Some websites say to change the AGI to $0... I dunno... it just shouldn't be this hard.  

erinm0717
Expert Alumni

IND-031-04

Here is another option.  Go to the IRS Get Transcript page to get a transcript of what the IRS has for your AGI and compare to what you are entering in: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

You can also call the Taxpayer Advocate Line for assistance: 1-877-777-4778

I hope this helps a little more than my last response!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies