Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect tax rate used?

In solving an earlier problem, I added $1000 in interest income to see my marginal federal tax rate.

Using the Form 1040 Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Worksheet, line 25, I compared the tax calculation before and after the added interest income. The resulting increase in the tax was $370, or 37%, implying I am in the 37% tax bracket. [NOTE: this is before calculating the Net Investment Tax.]

However, my AGI on Form 1040-SR (Line 33) is far below the $628,301 floor for the 37% tax bracket.

Why is my tax being calculated for the higher 37% tax bracket?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Incorrect tax rate used?

that additional income may be kicking some of your capital gains from the 15% bracket to the 20% bracket

see if the worksheet before is 0 on line 21 and now there is an amount.

also, many other items on your return can be affected by more income - we can't see your return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Incorrect tax rate used?

While it appears that you are not in the 37% tax bracket, it is not clear why the additional interest of $1,000 should generate additional tax owed of $370.  Can you provide additional information regarding your other sources of income, and any tax credits you are receiving?  With additional information, we may be able to provide a more detailed explanation.  

When providing additional information, do not include any personal identifiable information.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Incorrect tax rate used?

that additional income may be kicking some of your capital gains from the 15% bracket to the 20% bracket

see if the worksheet before is 0 on line 21 and now there is an amount.

also, many other items on your return can be affected by more income - we can't see your return.

Incorrect tax rate used?

Hi, Mike9241,

My cap gains were already more than enough to get the 20% treatment.

And if some other income/deduction interaction is the culprit, I doubt that would result in exactly 37.0% marginal tax, vs the 35% I think it should be.

I get the same result when I add non-investment income (e.g., non-penalty IRA withdrawal) -- 37.0% additional tax (before other taxes/penalties). My AGI is $100K below the 37% bracket floor.

Incorrect tax rate used?

Hi GeorgeM777,

I repeated my experiment, using $1000 in an IRA withdrawal (I am over 60) to avoid Net Investment Income impact. (Form 8960 is using my actual investment income for its calculations, so the extra $1000 has no impact there.)

1. My only deductions/credits are the standard deduction and the $600 charitable gift deduction.

2. My income includes employment income (I retired in 2021), Social Security, pensions, interest & dividends & cap gains, and a partial IRA -> Roth conversion.

3. I also have income tax withholding on the employment income and pensions, plus a sizable estimated tax payment.

I have concern that the additional tax calculation in TT is exactly 37.0%, when my AGI is $100K below the 37% bracket floor. If the issue were due to other tax/income/credit interactions, I do not believe the rate discrepancy would be precisely 2.0%.

Incorrect tax rate used?

Added data points:

1. I eliminated my under-withholding penalty

2. Adding a $1000 IRA withdrawal increases my federal tax due by $370

3. Instead, adding a $10,000 IRA withdrawal increases my federal tax due by $3700

4. TT shows my AMT is $0.

My AGI is still far below the 37% tax bracket floor, so it looks to me as if TT is using the wrong tax calculation. I hope that is not true, but I have no other explanation at this time.

Incorrect tax rate used?

Mike9241, you nailed it again.

TurboTax is calculating the tax properly. The issue lies in the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet.

My test case adds $10,000 to the IRA withdrawal -- no Net Investment Tax impact.
The above worksheet separates investment and non-investment income, calculating the tax on each part.
- The non-investment income increase of $10,000 results in $3200 more tax on Line 22 -- a 32% marginal rate 
- The tax calculation on the investment income bumps $10,000 from the 15% cap gains rate to $20%, resulting in another 5% tax on the non-investment increase, and thus 32% + 5% = 37%. It is coincidence that 37% is also the top tax bracket.

So, I don't get a 32% bracket - my marginal rate jumps from 24% to 37%. But there may be a higher income level where the marginal rate drops back to 32% or 35%.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies