Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incentive Stock Options (ISO) maxed at 99,999

I have more than 200K shares (worth pennies per share) of a small company that I would like to enter via Turbotax. But it seems to have max out at 99,999 for "Number of Shares Transferred" (Box 5 of Form 3921) in "Enter Your Purchase Information" screen. Why is this? And how can I enter a number greater than 100K? Why is there this low artificial limit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

the 3921 is for your records.  nothing needs to be filed with your 1040.  your employer has filed a copy of 3921 with the irs.  any taxable compensation is included on your W-2.  

if you want the TT form, i would suggest entering multiple lines of 50,000  shares

nadnonac

Confused on this reply, perhaps I missed a broader discussion,  the dialogue box for "number of shares transferred" is the question- and is particualrly important if you did not receive a 3921.

The dialogue referred to is reached if you check "No I did not receive a form 3921". Some of us will not receive this form that have foreign shares exercised in foreign brokerages- thus why turbotax is asking for manual entry.

I believe his point is that the "number of shares transferred" field is limited for some reason to 99,999 and this makes no sense.

What is the solution? I have the exact same issue.

Thanks

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

HACKITOFF's suggestion is correct.  Let's say you have 234,000 shares.  You would enter 50,000 shares 4 times, and then enter 34,000 shares once.  This will correctly yield 234,000 shares.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies