Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I import from Vanguard?

Spot on. Vanguard doesn't care and points finger at TT while all my other brokerages import with no problem

Vocalek

No, selecting Brokerage Accounts does not work.  My login for Mutual Funds works, but I the message says there are no 1099s available for this account.  Of course Vanguard did issue a 1099-R for this Employee sponsored account.  I can download the PDF and then will have to input each number manually.  The message when I attempt to import tells me to contact Vanguard and gives a phone number.  I called.  Vangard doesn't have a clue what is wrong.  Please Turbotax, talk to Vanguard and fix the problem of forms not importing.  Have your software people talk to Vanguard's software people.

Vocalek

I find your answer annoying, as it assumes that I have no idea how to enter data manually.  I CAN do it; I just prefer NOT to do it manually.  Fat fingers.  Number transpositions.  I can import my forms from other brokerage houses.  Please prevail upon your employer to have TurboTax software people talk to Vanguard software people and fix the problem of not being able to import the forms into TurboTax.

Thank you.

great idea! Now I just need to find the time to enter 2500 line items! So glad that Turbo Tax is so "Turbo" that I need to hand enter things that used to be automated in the past.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Most investors will enter their transactions in summary form and mail Form 8453 within three days of e-filing rather than enter the transactions individually when they are approaching the known maximums per brokerage.

You may have started to log in to Vanguard, a TurboTax Partner, but if the cache & cookies on your computer window browser are not cleared, you may end up back at the regular TurboTax Online site or otherwise experience unexpected results.

• Log out of all Intuit accounts.
  • Clear the cache & delete the cookies .
  • Close the browser completely. 
  • Open an Incognito Chrome browser.
  • Then, go to the Vanguard website or email to access the link. 
  • Use the link to the discount portal. Do not choose a product. Click on the Sign in link

Otherwise, see: How many stock transactions can TurboTax Online handle?

To import a spreadsheet instead: 

For the upload extension in TurboTax Online, use .CSV, and in TurboTax CD/Download, use .TXF. 

Before uploading, it is best to re-sort the columns to match TurboTax.  From left to right, title your columns: 

• Service name (examples: Coinbase)
  • Asset name (examples: Bitcoin, Ethereum)
  • Date of purchase
  • Cost basis
  • Date of sale
  • Sale proceeds

If you are reporting cryptocurrency, for more information, see: Uploading Cryptocurrency in TurboTax Using Aggregator Services.

@Vocalek

@scottjohnson277

For tax year 2021 seems Turbotax Desktop has changed approach. Previously I needed to provide my Vanguard credentials in Turbotax. This year I am getting asked for Account number and Document ID. As explained both in Turbotax and on the downloaded forms from Vanguard these appear at the top of page 1 of the 1099. 

I am literally copy/pasting these values from the PDF of the 1099 to Turbotax Desktop and yet 

I get " Your credentials are incorrect. Please try again."

Since it is the first morning documents were available from Vanguard I hope this is a minor bug that gets resolved quickly.

Thoughts? (Manual entry is very problematic/risky due to extensive FTC data that I need to get right.)

try manual entry of the doc ID and a/c number rather than cut and paste. sometimes there are embedded items that you can't see that result in invalid info being entered.   if that doesn't work contact Vanguard for help.

there are 2 Vanguards one for mutual funds and one for brokerage. the brokerage id the one that request the doc and a/c #'s 

I think there was some kind of transient issue/bug. All I did was exit Turbotax ..restart a few hours later ..repeat the copy/paste and all was well. Importing now working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

what is the Doc Id when trying to import from Vanguard? for 2021 taxes

Anonymous
Not applicable

found it

GK42
Returning Member

I had the same issue. It appears that Turbo Tax asks for an 11 character password in order to import data; however, my password for Vanguard is only 10 characters and Turbo Tax wouldn't accept it.  I had to enter each Account # and ID# for my 4 separate accounts - that info can be found at the top of your statement(s).  I could copy and paste one of the sets of characters and had to type in the other one.  I would change my password for Vanguard, but the last time I did that it screwed up my entries in Quicken.  Ugh!!    

My TRowe Price info downloaded with no problem with a 9 character password.   

It used to work in previous years but not for 2021 taxes.

When I am trying to import, TurboTax asks for Vanguard User Id (as usual) but then requests Document ID (11 digits) instead of login password for Vanguard.

I was not able to import.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@sophia_fd-yahoo- According to this community member, the document ID can be found at the top of page 1 of the 1099.  If you need additional assistance, please contact us via phone.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Vanguard has two links to import:

1. Vanguard Mutial Funds - requires Vanguard UserId and PWD

2. Vanguard Brokerage - requires Vanguard UserId and Document ID.

Vanguard would be more user-friendly by converting ALL accounts to Brokerage accounts like other financial institutions.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Were you able to import your documents? Do you have additional questions?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies