turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If my disallowed wash sale loss is less than one dollar, how do I enter it? TurboTax won't accept it.

@RudyG1 You can still e-file, you just need to mail in your 1099-B from you organization also form 8453 3 business days after your tax return is accepted

If my disallowed wash sale loss is less than one dollar, how do I enter it? TurboTax won't accept it.

@bttrainingyard I don't know how, it wouldn't let me eFile as long as the "mistake" was there.

@RudyG1 That's because you left your imported information present, instead of deleting it. You need to:

1. completely remove the 1099-B docs you imported from you organization
  2. enter the information yourself as a summary. ( TT input fields will guide you for each number and letter)
  3. once you enter all of that information and click "Done", you should see something that says "See attached documents" Those documents will be:
    1. 1099-B information
    2. form 8453, which you will have to retrieve from the IRS website. Fill it out, download it, then print it. 
  4. If you run a check again and followed the steps properly you should have no errors
  5. You then can e-file. 
  6. Wait for your return to be accepted, then after it has been accepted you mail in those documents

@bttrainingyard my 1099B is 57 pages long! No way I am going to sit and input the data for one lousy $0.13 disallowed wash sale. That's why I bought TurboTax for. Maybe I should try H&R next year.

smartt

Good answer.  I right clicked and selected override and put in $1.01 just to be safe.  It worked like a champ.

@RudyG1you don’t have to sit down and manually enter it. If that’s what you’re doing, then you didn’t follow the steps I said. The summary is only 3 input fields.  But, do what’s best for you.

While setting the number to 1 get around the problem, it's not a fix. it's a work around. This is clearly a minor bug on TurboTax they have refused to fix.

Oops, I thought I mentioned the person. I went with the comment by @JohnB5677, the one with the multiple steps. You have to go in to turbotax and search for 1099b and then manually erase any of those wash sales under .50 cents. Worked like a charm. I had about 7 of those to erase. 

So, this is a roundabout solution, but it worked for me. I had three stocks with a wash under .50, and it would just cycle through each time I tried setting it to "1". I wasn't allowed to edit the field it had asked me to, so it seems to be a UI issue.

1. Make a note of which stocks you're being prompted to fix

2. Go back into the federal section, to where you uploaded your securities document.

3. Click "Review"

4. Click "Edit" for the Robinhood document

5. Verify the acct information. 

You should now be on the "Review all your Robinhood securities sales" list page. Find the stocks that are giving you problems, and click the "edit" pencil icon on the right side of the list item. This will bring you to the individual stock page. Scroll down to find the input field for box 1g. I put in 1.00 and the filing was accepted.

donncee
Returning Member

I am having this issue but cannot find the specific sales in the list of transactions. Any advice there? Thanks in advance.

@donncee refer to previous post in this thread. Some people have posted how to get to it.

That's crazy.

I had 4 pages worth; not much but that was a bit tedious to do. 

Seems like an easy fix for next year right? if not I rather just go to HR Block nexy year.

@jovanym  What method did you use to get your return accepted?

Also,  TT hasn’t mentioned a fix for this so far this year, so it may not happen. As for the future, who knows. One can hope. 

@jovanym unfortunately last year's TurboTax had the same bug. It was fixed later in the tax season but it reappeared again this year.

Found a fix...I used H&R Block and had no problems with this.  Good luck, everyone. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies