turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I received a 1099G for unemployment but should not have received it, what do I do?

I had an employer file unemployment on my behalf when it should not have been. When I found out about it I contacted Dept. of Labor and sent back the unemployment card that was sent. They said everything was fine. Now I received a 1099G stating I received $6000, which is incorrect. I didn't receive ANY unemployment. Do I still need to list this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If I received a 1099G for unemployment but should not have received it, what do I do?

Enter the 1099-G under Unemployment (there are several 1099-G sections, please be sure you are in the Unemployment section, not State tax refunds and not taxable grants) 

Under Wages & Income

After you enter the 1099-G, continue through the interview. TurboTax will ask if you repaid any of the benefits, select Yes and enter the full amount. 

Continue and finish the interview questioning. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My employer applied for unemployment that I wasn't supposed to get (never unemployed, never missed a pay check).  I called my state unemployment office, emailed and filled out an online form to return the money, but so far I still have $1620 on a debit card ($1930 before taxes).  What do I do with this?  How do I note it on the 2020 1040 form?

Well you did get it.  Enter the 1099G on your return.  Since it's under 10,200 it won't be taxable.  But you will get the withholding back as a refund or it will reduce a tax due.

Enter a 1099G for unemployment under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Unemployment - Click the Start or Update Button

Your unemployment compensation will be on Schedule 1 line 7. The exclusion will be on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number. The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.  You get credit for the withholding on 1040 line 25b.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies