Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I'm a foreigner, and most of my income is earned by members of my household, how do I write my household income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

If I'm a foreigner, and most of my income is earned by members of my household, how do I write my household income?

What are you trying to do?  Why do you want to write anything about your household income?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It asked me of my residency and I wrote I'm a full-time resident of an apt. in the city, but I rent this place. I live in this place with another person, but it's not me who is paying the rent. How do I write the household income? Should I just leave it blank or write the income of the other person? 

This is still not making sense.  What are you doing?  Are you trying to prepare an income tax return---or are you doing something else?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, I'm trying to do income tax return

If you are a non-resident alien you cannot use TurboTax.    And it is still unclear why you think you should be entering anything about the income of other members of your household on your own income tax return.    Please do not take offense--but it sounds like you should not be trying to prepare a tax return without help.

NON RESIDENT ALIEN 

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

I used Sprintax and it said that I'm a resident alien. 

Interesting...Okay...but you need help--more help than we can provide in this forum.  You sound way too confused by the forms to prepare them unassisted.   And is it not even clear whether you need to file a tax return at all.

Try this:

DO I NEED TO FILE A TAX RETURN?

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

I see. Thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies