turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I left the United States at the beginning of the year (2021) and no longer have any income from any U.S based source, but I do send funds, do I need to file tax 2022?

I used to live and work in the USA as a resident alien. I left the USA feb 2021. I no longer earn in or from the U.S, but I do send funds to my account there to occassionally make purchases for things online so I can pay in USD. Do I need to file taxes for the 2021- 2022 FY?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If I left the United States at the beginning of the year (2021) and no longer have any income from any U.S based source, but I do send funds, do I need to file tax 2022?

If you are still a resident alien, you have to file a U.S. tax return and report your worldwide income, whether or not you live in the United States.

See "Resident Aliens" in IRS Publication 519 for information about how to determine whether you are a resident alien. Download Publication 519 from the following link and see "Resident Aliens" beginning on page 4.

Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The link that I posted in my original reply was wrong. I have corrected it in the reply above.

Download Publication 519 from the following link and see "Resident Aliens" beginning on page 4.

Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies