Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjmessman21
Returning Member

If I hit the "Transmit my returns now" button, will both my Federal and State Returns be filed or will I be sent to the "Here are your filing options" page?

Turbo Tax said I can file my Federal Return and not my State while I wait for them to update their system from the ARPA and said to wait for the "Here are your filing options" page to  not file my state return. But I am at the point where I have to "Transmit my returns" and I haven't seen that page yet. I just don't want to hit the "Transmit Returns" button if it is going to automatically file my State return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

If I hit the "Transmit my returns now" button, will both my Federal and State Returns be filed or will I be sent to the "Here are your filing options" page?

after you press

Transmit my returns now

there is nothing more, unless you get REJECTED.

benjamintennant
Returning Member

I have this same question. I want to file federal and wait on state. I have paid for both and want to keep my work. Turbotax says that's an option but there is no "here are your filing options" page like they say there will be. 

I have the same issue!!!!  I've already paid and missed the option to delay state filing.

nikkib1

I am having the same problem I wish they would have a screenshot or be more descriptive in their steps because I never got to a filing options screen

nikkib1

I found the answer thanks to another member's post.  You have to select file by mail during step 3 of the file section.  It will then give you the option to change the state to file later.  TurboTax please correct your instructions so they are clear and not vague, that is such a simple but important step that you left out!

Finally!!!  That did the trick.  Federal is now filed.  Thank you.  I owe you a drink!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

There are three steps in the filing process in the online version.

• Review your order - Review the TurboTax products you used to prepare your taxes and pay with your federal refund or credit card
  • Your refund info

For your Federal and State returns:

We’ll help you select your refund method up next.

• Get ready to save and file your returns - Choose which returns to file. We're not filing your taxes just yet. It's okay to click Start

In step three you have the option to file you Federal return without filing the state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, nikkib1! This worked! Have the "experts" from TurboTax even used the software?????

Shadow6

Thank you!  Yes -- TT needs to revise their instructions!

This is the right answer -- the "experts" are wrong.  You can still E-FILE federal when you click on "file by mail," and set your state to FILE LATER.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies