Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was unknowingly being claimed as a dependent. I know who was claiming me and I want to get it fixed. Its messed up.

I am not dependent on this person and have not been for 4 years.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I was unknowingly being claimed as a dependent. I know who was claiming me and I want to get it fixed. Its messed up.

You should file your return the right way, as a independent.  Unless you really do qualify as their dependent.  If your return rejects because someone claimed you then you will have to print and mail your return.  Then the IRS will investigate to determine who can claim you.

Thank you, I’ll do that. I was a full time student making under the tax bracket so I didn’t think to file and am just now finding out this person has been wrongfully claiming me. Now, I’m getting things straightened out.

If you were a full time student under 24 then someone might be able to claim you no matter how much you made.

Maybe they can claim you.

Who can I claim as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

Who you can claim article

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/rules-for-claiming-a-dependent-on-your-tax-return/L8LODb...

This person contributed absolutely nothing to my well-being (groceries, housing, car insurance, etc), so in no way shape or form am I dependent of them or anyone else. 
I’ll take your advice and send in my information via mail to have the irs review it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies