Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I use and have used the free edition. I need a copy of my amended tax form from 2016. How can I get this? It won't let me sign up for Plus. I've tried.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I use and have used the free edition. I need a copy of my amended tax form from 2016. How can I get this? It won't let me sign up for Plus. I've tried.

This answer assumes your 2016 and already-filed 2017 Free Edition return are in the same account, which is necessary for this method to work.

NOTE:  As I said above, if PLUS is grayed out, then you are already in PLUS and just need to pay.   I've listed all the steps below, but if you are already in PLUS, then once you open the return back up you can skip to the payment steps.  You don't need to go back to the Upgrade area.

• Log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents".  Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2017.
  • Then click the link "Add a State".  (you aren't really adding one; that just opens the return back up.)
  • Once the return is open and past the blue-green screen, click in the left menu column on Upgrade.
  •  NOTE:  If PLUS is grayed out, that means you are already in PLUS.  In that case, do NOT upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.
  • So if you are already in PLUS, then you need to pay for it.
  • In the left menu column, click on TAX TOOLS, then choose PRINT CENTER.
  • In the Print Center choose "Print, save, view THIS YEAR's return."   (yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for PLUS 2017 to unlock the prior returns.)  You don't really have to print it.
  • On the next screen choose to PAY NOW.  (for this unlocking purpose, you cannot use the "Pay Later" feature if it's offered.)
  • The next screen will be an Order Summary.  It should show PLUS for 29.99.
  • Next screen says "Pay with Credit Card", but it can also be a debit card or prepaid debit card.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I can tell you the proper way to upgrade to PLUS and pay the 29.99 fee by credit/debit card.  I have to ask you several questions first.

Have you located the 2016 return, and is the 2016 return in the SAME account as the one you have used/are using for 2017?  Have you already filed the 2017 return, or is it still in preparation?

What happened when you tried to upgrade and pay for PLUS?  What/where is the roadblock?

There's a free option if a tax return transcript would suit your purpose.  You may be able to immediately download a 2016 return transcript at this IRS website at the link below.  If you don't qualify to download one there, you can order one to come by postal mail, which takes 5-10 calendar days.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript">http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript</a>

I had downloaded my 2016 tax copies last year when I filed, but had to amend my taxes when I got a w-2 late that my husband and I had forgotten about and if I was offered to download that file I forgot to. So now this year I already filed my taxes for 2017 and I used the free edition once more so now I can't access my 2016 files. I followed directions on this site telling me how I could upgrade to PLUS even after filing 2017 taxes but it didn't work for me. When it gives me the option to upgrade to PLUS it's grayed out and I can't click it, and it never takes me to a page to pay for it. This is all for financial aid for my school, and so I've already obtained a 2016 return transcript from the IRS, but I'd have to pay $50 for a copy of my amended form. I need a copy of it, not a transcript. I'm just trying to save money.

I'll tell you below how to pay for PLUS in an already-filed 2017 return.  Some of the steps you have already done.   If PLUS is grayed out, that means you are ALREADY in PLUS and just need to pay for it.  Do NOT upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.  I'll be telling you how to go to the Print Center to get to the payment screens.

Thank you SO much. It worked and I got the file I needed. You saved me a lot of frustration and money. You were very helpful!!

Great news!  I'm glad you got it.  You're welcome.

This answer assumes your 2016 and already-filed 2017 Free Edition return are in the same account, which is necessary for this method to work.

NOTE:  As I said above, if PLUS is grayed out, then you are already in PLUS and just need to pay.   I've listed all the steps below, but if you are already in PLUS, then once you open the return back up you can skip to the payment steps.  You don't need to go back to the Upgrade area.

• Log in and go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents".  Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2017.
  • Then click the link "Add a State".  (you aren't really adding one; that just opens the return back up.)
  • Once the return is open and past the blue-green screen, click in the left menu column on Upgrade.
  •  NOTE:  If PLUS is grayed out, that means you are already in PLUS.  In that case, do NOT upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.
  • So if you are already in PLUS, then you need to pay for it.
  • In the left menu column, click on TAX TOOLS, then choose PRINT CENTER.
  • In the Print Center choose "Print, save, view THIS YEAR's return."   (yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for PLUS 2017 to unlock the prior returns.)  You don't really have to print it.
  • On the next screen choose to PAY NOW.  (for this unlocking purpose, you cannot use the "Pay Later" feature if it's offered.)
  • The next screen will be an Order Summary.  It should show PLUS for 29.99.
  • Next screen says "Pay with Credit Card", but it can also be a debit card or prepaid debit card.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

I  am trying to get a copy of my 2019 tax return because I received a letter from IRS saying the wrong amount of income was used from one of the W2's

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@jrshanks55   You can fill this form out for someone to call you and help.

I'm guessing you have seen these.

How can I access my return after I've e-filed or printed it?

How do I access a prior year return?

Typos do happen and the IRS letter may be right. If so, you can sign it and send any money due. The IRS has a website for notices, click here.   See I received a letter from the IRS for full instructions. Good luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies