turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owed taxes in 2017. In 2018 until present the IRS has been keeping my refund to pay my back taxes. The problem is, my bill never goes down, it get higher! What can I do

The IRS send statements saying we paid $xxxx to our back taxes. Then a month later a tax bill comes in saying we owe almost double what we owed before. This happens every year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I owed taxes in 2017. In 2018 until present the IRS has been keeping my refund to pay my back taxes. The problem is, my bill never goes down, it get higher! What can I do

Start by getting your IRS transcripts; get your tax return transcripts and your account transcript, which should show the penalties and interest being added to you account and the taxes being credited to your account.

If the math adds up, then you are just getting beaten by the interest and you need to pay more.  The penalty is 0.5% per month and the interest is a variable APR around 3-4% per year, so the total could be 10% or more per year, compounded monthly.   For every $1000 you owed, it will increase by more than $100 per year, if your refund is less than the new penalties and interest, the penalties and interest may be gaining on you faster than you pay it off, and you just need to pay more.

In the unlikely event that your refunds are not being applied to your tax due balance, you will have to call the IRS to straighten it out.  You can also try calling the Taxpayer Advocate service.

https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

Incidentally, I would not contact one of those "get out of tax debt free" companies that advertise on late night TV and social media.  They will take more in fees than they save you.  If your debt is large enough that you want to make a settlement offer, I would contact an enrolled agent in your area, that is an accountant who is specifically approved to practice in front of the IRS.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies