Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bereketsletzion
Returning Member

I obtained approval for an extension for filing my 2019 tax return. Where can I find the approval document?

I obtained approval for an extension for filing my 2019 tax return. Where can I find the approval document?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Are you saying that you filed form 4868 prior to April 15, 2020 for an extension of your 2019 1040 return?

The IRS states that if you don't hear from them that the application for the extension was denied, then you can assume that the application was approved. That is, they don't normally send you anything to confirm the extension.

Or are you asking about something else?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bereketsletzion
Returning Member

I tried to complete my tax return for 2019 but could not finalize it by the deadline of July 15, 2020.  Then in mid-July 2020, I applied for an extension through Form 4868 online using the TurboTax system. I obtained approval for an extension for filing my 2019 tax return and finalized it on October, 13th 2020, and submitted the tax forms and money order by mail. Last week, IRS sent me a Notice informing me that I did not file my tax return on time, despite their approval for the extension. I want to send evidence that I requested for an extension and got their approval. Where can I find the approval document?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

There isn't an approval document for the extension, but you can send the IRS a copy of the 4868 you filed.  If you used TurboTax Online, please follow these steps:

1. In TurboTax Online, sign into your account.
  2. You should be on your Tax Home page.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and click Show.
  4. Select 2019.
  5. Click Download/print return (PDF)
  6. When you open the file the extension form 4868 should be included with the rest of the forms and worksheets.

Just sending the form will not be enough ... you need proof it was filed timely so look at the filing history page in the PDF ...  

You have to sign onto your online account using the exact same User ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the User ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2019 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

OR -

You may have to start a 2020 tax return before the links on the Tax Home web page become available.  In that case start the 2020 tax return with the User ID you used for the 2019 return.  Once some basic information has been transferred over, Tax Home should be visible on the left column.  Click on Tax Home and then the other links will be shown as in this screenshot.

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies