turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to amend my 2018 tax return.I heard it will take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended tax return. I wonder if I have to wait for IRS process my amended 2018 tax return before I can file my 2019 tax return? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

I need to amend my 2018 tax return.I heard it will take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended tax return. I wonder if I have to wait for IRS process my amended 2018 tax return before I can file my 2019 tax return? Thanks.

16 weeks on the amend. 2018 amend and 2019 filing can be   done at the same time.

2019 TurboTax can prepare the 2019 return  (either in Online TurboTax or the 2019 CD/download software).

You didn't say how the 2018 return was prepared.   The 2018 amended return has to be prepared in either the 2018 desktop software (if you have it) or the special 2018 "amend software" that you can download and install for free if you prepared the 2018 return online. 

The 2018 amended return cannot be efiled.  It has to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.

I used 2018 Turbo tax CD. Thx. 

One more question, I should use 2018 Turbo tax CD to amend the 2018 tax return, correct? Please advise. Thanks. 

@ Juluaxyw wrote:

One more question, I should use 2018 Turbo tax CD to amend the 2018 tax return, correct? Please advise. Thanks. 

Yes, you use your 2018 CD software to amend a 2018 return.  That's the one I presume you prepared it in originally.   Be sure to run the 2018 program updater so your software program has the latest program updates for 2018.

Make a copy of the 2018 data file first before amending as a safeguard in case you mess something up.  The FAQ below will tell you to do that.   Also be sure your 2018 return starts off as you originally filed it.  Hopefully. you haven't changed anything in it outside the amend process.

See this FAQ:  How to amend a 2018 return in the desktop software:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download...

BTW, it's a good idea to mail by a method that has tracking such as certified mail, priority mail, etc.

About 3 weeks after mailing it, it should show up in this IRS "Where's My Amended Return" tool where you can monitor it:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies