Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I'm getting an error on importing my 1099-B from "Etrade Securities" that says "The 1099 import service for E*TRADE Securities is currently unavailable." Is there an eta?

If import does not go smooth, I will suggest to manually enter info.  If there are too many transactions, try to sum up between long term and short term.  You might still be able to e-file.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 1099b and Enter 
  • Select Jump to 1099b
  • Follow prompts
  • On-screen, "Let's import your tax info, select I'll type it myself
  • Follow prompts to continue

A Form 1099-B is issued to report the proceeds from your stocks and bonds transactions.  The transactions will generate either a long term or short term capital gain or loss depends on how long the stocks are being held.  The amount will be reported on line 7 of your Form 1040 along with a Schedule D and Form 8949.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jkxk2001
Returning Member

I'm getting an error on importing my 1099-B from "Etrade Securities" that says "The 1099 import service for E*TRADE Securities is currently unavailable." Is there an eta?

anyone got a solution? I am having this problem too with latest turbo tax 2020(home and small business version)

Instead of manually entering transactions, you enter a summary of the sales categories.  If you decide to use the summary method and have some transactions from the 1099-B already entered, then you will delete those entries so they will not be counted twice.

To Delete any entries that would be duplicates::

• Federal
  • Wages and Income
  • Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  • If you have any entries from the 1099-B, delete them by moving them to the wastebacket.

Your 1099-B should have groupings. For example "Short-term covered" or "Long-term covered".

1. Open or continue your return and search for stock sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?.
  • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales. 
  1. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, then Continue.
  2. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it myself.
  3. Answer the questions until you can select Enter sales section totals.
  4. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.

If you summarize the stock sales instead of entering them individually, you may need to mail in a copy of the 1099-B or statement showing the individual transactions with Form 8453. Not required if just Box A sales or Box D sales and there are no adjustments necessary. 

TT will prompt when the statement and 8453 needs to be mailed to the IRS.

How to Enter a Large Number of Stock Transactions

Hi all.

I am experiencing the same issue as the others regarding the import from ETrade.  I am a platinum client at ETrade and I spoke to a member of the platinum team today about this issue.  He said he had not heard of any clients reporting this issue to ETrade.  Judging by the replies to this discussion, it seems like he may be mistaken.

I would encourage all of you to call customer support at ETrade and report the issue so that they will feel some pressure to work with TT to fix this.  The phone number is [phone number removed].

TT desktop version does have a limit of 3000 transactions, so those of you who have more transactions will need to summarize those transactions that fit into the Box A and Box D category and manually enter the rest.  IRS instructions for Form 8949 do not require you to provide the details for those summarized transactions.

Good luck to all of us this tax season.

Howard

You can delete the individual entries and just add a summary of each of the different sales categories.  Your 1099-B should have those groupings. For example "Short-term covered" or "Long-term covered".

1. Open or continue your return and search for stock sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?.
    • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales. 
  4. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, then Continue.
  5. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it myself.
  6. Answer the questions until you can select Enter sales section totals.
  7. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.

I was able to successfully download my 1099 data from ETrade tonight.  I did a search on E* to look for ETrade as the brokerage when starting the import process.  The search brings up three choices:

E*TRADE Advisor Services

E*TRADE Bank

E*TRADE Securities

In my previous attempts to download my data, I selected 

E*TRADE Securities.  This results in the error message that everyone has encountered.  I decided to try 

E*TRADE Bank, because I also have a savings account at ETrade that is linked to my brokerage accounts (same UserId) and I wanted to download my 1099-INT into TT.  To my surprise, the import process showed my bank account and also my brokerage accounts at ETrade.  I was able to import all of my 1099s using this process.

Caveats:

(1)  This will not work if you have over 3000 transactions and are using TT Desktop.  The limit is lower for TT online.  You will get the message that you have over 3000 transactions.

(2)  This may not work if you do not have a bank account at ETrade Bank.

Have you tried to change your password in Etrade?  Often times that will work and allow you to connect to your Etrade account and import your forms into TurboTax.

JamieR1
Returning Member

I am having this problem in the 2021 version.  I have an Etrade brokerage account.  I have triple checked the login and tried multiple of the Morgan Stanley options for linking.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

This sounds like an Etrade issue if you are able to Sign In to your Etrade account from the page in TurboTax, and then receive this message. 

There are three different Etrade entities in the import list; be sure you have the correct one.

See if you can Sign In to your account outside of TurboTax and retrieve your info to save to your computer.

You can upload the forms from your computer.

Click this link for more info on How to Import 1099 Forms.

How do I down load E*trade1099 into my TurboTax?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

The general steps for importing a 1099 can be found here. If you are experiencing issues with doing so (the nature of this thread) please review this resource @dtshaw2891.

yan19
Returning Member

I cannot import my 1099 from "Etrade Securities". It shows 1099 forms not available for user. Why is Turbotax failing the import?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

There are so many individual variants involved, that's its' virtually impossible to say why an Etrade import works for one person, and not for another.

Since we can't see your return in this forum, you could Contact TurboTax Help to get technical support for your import issue.

OR, you can elect to enter a summary instead.  Click this link for info on How to Enter a Summary in Lieu of Individual Transactions

@yan19

having the same issues.  Same error message although I had zero problems downloading LPL and Charles Schwab.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can: contact your broker, Contact Us,  or you can manually type in a summary. You can enter 4 lines and cover the entire form.

Enter the totals for each:

• short term covered
  • short term non-covered
  • long term covered
  • long term non-covered

When you enter summary data only,  you are required to send a copy of your 1099B to the IRS. Once you submit your electronic copy, TurboTax prints out a cover letter and instructions on where to send a copy of your 1099B.

@ffllyer1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies