turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pspataro
Returning Member

I'm a hairdresser for TV and Film

I'm a hairdresser for TV and film. I receive a 1099 for disposable product, equpment replacement, etc. So, I file a Schedule C to claim this money and use "expenses" so I don't have to pay tax on it. Can I claim half of my internet fees as an expense since I use my internet as much for business as I do for personal?

Also, in the past, my accountant has had me deduct certain parking, my cell phone, which I use MOSTLY at work to communicate with my team and other miscellaneous items.

I am filing (very) late, and would like mitigate any penalties I can at this point. It's the first time on over 30 years I am owing taxes.

Thank you,

Paul Spataro

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Not if you mean that you receive a W-2(s) for your work as a hairdresser, then receive a 1099 only for out of pocket expenses for  product, etc. That would indicate that you are actually an employee, and the expense for internet fees, parking, etc., would be unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses, which are no longer deductible.You could still reduce your 1099 by the amount of your expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pspataro
Returning Member

Thank you for responding: In the past, I filed a Schedule C where all of those things were deducted as a separate business. Is that wrong?

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes, if I'm understanding your situation, and the 1099 was just for your out of pocket expenses. As an employee, if you received reimbursement, it shouldn't have been reported on a 1099 at all. It should have been in your W-2 (if you didn't have to account for your expenses, but received a flat amount) or nowhere (if you had to account to your employer/s for your expenses and were reimbursed that way).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies