Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skypilot69
Returning Member

I have fixed an error and now want to file my return. How do I do it?

I don't want to have to go through my entire return step by step.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MikeInPlano
Returning Member

If you have already filed your return with the IRS the only way to correct it is to file an amended return.  There is a special form for doing so.  When I did it several years ago it was the 1040-X.  If you check the IRS web site you should be able to download a copy.

I don't know if TT supports filing an amended return or not.  In any case, the form looks just like the regular 1040, but with two columns for every line.  You enter the original numbers you submitted for every line in one column, and the corrected numbers in the other column.

skypilot69
Returning Member

You misunderstood my question completely.

@ skypilot69 wrote:

I don't want to have to go through my entire return step by step.

If you have finished preparing your return, open your return (if not already open), then go to the left menu column and click on the REVIEW tab.  Go through that section to see if all is in order, or if there are any other errors or issues.

Then go to the FILE tab to choose a filing method and continue answering the screens there.  If you are efiling, then be sure to go all the way to the end and click a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now."

NOTE:  If you log in and can't continue your return because TurboTax thinks you were finished, and your return interview is closed, here's how to open it back up so you can resume, finish, and file.  At the Tax Home page look for a link "Add a State."   That doesn't really add one, but will open the return interview back up.  Then you should be able to get to the REVIEW tab, then the FILE tab, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies