Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I forgot to file unemployment on my taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Heather14

If you have already filed your returnyou'll need to wait for your tax return to either be rejected or accepted, if it is rejected you can add your Form 1099-G, correct any other errors on the return and resubmit it. If it is accepted, you will need to amend your return to include the Form 1099-G. 

Please be aware that Form 1040X will not be available to prepare in TurboTax until mid-February, but once it is available, you will be able to prepare and print your amended return so that you can mail it to the IRS. You cannot e-file an amended return as this cannot be filed electronically.  The form is only filed on paper, so it will need to be printed and filed by mail. 

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2016 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

If you have not filed your return you can see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on entering your Form 1099-G for unemployment in your return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4768357

jsmith92

I sent it already and its penning but can i fix it? They don't checking them to the 17th.

@jsmith92 wrote:

I sent it already and its penning but can i fix it? They don't checking them to the 17th.

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

Did you get approved or received your taxes yet? I made this same mistake 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and add the unemployment income.  Amended tax returns will not be available until sometime in March.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have add the unemployment income as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

There are a couple of different 1099-G forms, so please follow the steps in this article to ensure that you are entering the information in the right section of TurboTax.

Or you may try these steps in TurboTax online

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Your Income, click Unemployment and paid family leave (1099-G).
  • Click Edit/Add to the right. 

Unemployment benefits are taxable on the Federal tax.  But some states make allowances for unemployment income received.  See this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same here have you received anything yet ? 

Josj
Returning Member

Any update 

So, Intuit says to file a 1099-G ammendment if the return was already accepted, but when trying to do so the website says online ammendment features aren't available until Friday, February 16th, 2023. Why? This is obnoxious. 

@ddacey1176 wrote:

So, Intuit says to file a 1099-G ammendment if the return was already accepted, but when trying to do so the website says online ammendment features aren't available until Friday, February 16th, 2023. Why? This is obnoxious. 

An amended tax return can be filed at any time up to three years from the due date of the tax return

The Form 1040X is estimated to be finalized and available in TurboTax on 02/23,2023

Go to this TurboTax website for forms availability - https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies