Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m-sartor48
Returning Member

I filed an extension for my 2016 tax returns. I received a notice i owe money due to a late filing. How do i get my extension filing and prove i had an extension?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I filed an extension for my 2016 tax returns. I received a notice i owe money due to a late filing. How do i get my extension filing and prove i had an extension?

The timely filed 2016 extension gave you until 10/15/17 to file the return ... if you filed it after that date then the extension you filed was null and void. 

Carl
Level 15

Also, and approved extension is only an approval to file. If taxes were due, they were due Apr 15, 2017. Nothing can extend the payment due date.

m-sartor48
Returning Member

I filed my extension before the initial return date. Where is my extension filed and how do i get a copy of that? Null, void or accepted there should be some record of it.

m-sartor48
Returning Member

I did not owe any taxes and was set to have a refund. Are you saying it doesn't matter if i filed an extension and it was approved i still needed to submit my taxes Apr 15? If so then i do not understand the point on an extension.

Not exactly.  Even if you have an extension any tax due you owe is due by April 15.  If you are getting a refund you don't need an extension.  You have 3 years to file for a refund.  

Did the IRS change your return from a refund to a tax due?  Check your return again and see if you really had a refund.  Maybe you read it wrong.  Or is it for a state return?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fed or state notice.   for the Fed if you were due a refund and the return was correct as filed, there should be no late filing penalty.   If the IRS changed your return  and you now owe there would be a late filing and late payment penalty.   each state is different.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies