turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e-filed my taxes b4 form 8889 was available on turbo tax, now it is but that form still says DO NOT FILE FORM NOT FINAL, why ? and what will happen ?

im using the online version and am worried my taxes will be rejected now ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I e-filed my taxes b4 form 8889 was available on turbo tax, now it is but that form still says DO NOT FILE FORM NOT FINAL, why ? and what will happen ?

Your tax data is not sent in PDF format to the IRS. Instead, TurboTax and other tax software vendors create a file in XML format which is a totally data format (no lines or boxes or anything graphical).

So even if your PDF says DO NOT FILE, that won't be a part of your return that gets sent to the IRS.

As I noted before,

1. form 8889 did not change in a material way for 2020, so the form should be OK even with the watermark, and

2. this week, the IRS starts e-filing forms so you should be notified Accepted or Rejected. If your return is Accepted, then the data is in the proper format for the IRS and you have no worries (about that form, anyway).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Normally, you cannot e-file if one or more forms on your return are not yet available. Please note that the 8889 became available today (or perhaps last night).

The 8889 for 2020 is substantially identical to that of 2019. However, TurboTax transmits an electronic version of the return (in XML instead of PDF, if you have any computer people in the house), so that is no guarantee (but we can hope).

In any case, if you have e-filed, your return is in the queue at TurboTax, and we are waiting for the IRS to open up e-filing (announced to be February 12th). Note that we cannot pull it out of that queue; it's the same as if you had mailed the return.

So on or about February 12th (a few returns are e-filed early as the IRS tests e-filing), you should get Accepted or Rejected from the IRS (check if you don't hear anything by the 14th or so).

If your return is Accepted, then your 8889 was probably fine.

If your return is Rejected, check to see what the issue is, fix it, and file the return again. This time it will have the updated form for sure...and if it doesn't, come back and tell us and tell us what date you created the PDF...

I e-filed my taxes on the day the 8889 form was listed to become available  but had not become available quite yet. they were available just a few hours later that same day . I've looked on the irs website the form looks the exact same and I checked the info and that's correct too . so I've no idea why when I click download/print your tax return it STILL says DO NOT FILE FORM NOT FINAL DO NOT FILE on the pdf. I'm just worried something is wrong .

Same thing happened to me.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

What I said above still holds true. On or about February 12th, your returns will be e-filed to the IRS. If they are Accepted at that point, you are OK. If Rejected, fix the indicated error and re-e-file. You should be OK.

@wordswords123

@chriskosicki

I'm pretty sure the IRS may still accept a form that states DO NOT FILE on it. Its automatic programming on their end. This is an unacceptable problem for TurboTax to have. The printout versions have yet to be updated either for my return.

Yeah still nothing on my 8889 form I mean the info is there but so is the water mark over that form on the print out version but not the pdf version has me worried they'll be rejected or worse 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Your tax data is not sent in PDF format to the IRS. Instead, TurboTax and other tax software vendors create a file in XML format which is a totally data format (no lines or boxes or anything graphical).

So even if your PDF says DO NOT FILE, that won't be a part of your return that gets sent to the IRS.

As I noted before,

1. form 8889 did not change in a material way for 2020, so the form should be OK even with the watermark, and

2. this week, the IRS starts e-filing forms so you should be notified Accepted or Rejected. If your return is Accepted, then the data is in the proper format for the IRS and you have no worries (about that form, anyway).

elveec2
Returning Member

I am at the stage to file my federal tax but I want to mail my state tax.  I have printed them out however when I check the do not file state tax and just check the federal tax for e-filing nothing happens.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. When you select the file button, what happens? You should be able to efile federal and send in the state. If this continues, please use this link to  Contact Us and look for the phone number to a live support person to assist you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies