Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't have to file federal and state taxes at the same time do I??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to file them at the same time.  However, if you are e-filing your income tax returns, the federal return will need to be accepted before you can e-file your state (or, you can just paper-file your state return later).

In case you are wondering how to skip the State, here are two ways to skip your state in TurboTax Online:

1. Delete your state return, file your federal return now, and then come back later re-do your state return
  2. Pay for both your federal and state returns now and when you get to the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select the File by mail button and click the I'm not ready to file radio button below your state and click save.

Method 1 doesn't require up-front payment for your state, but you'll have to re-enter your state information later. Method 2 saves the work you did on your state return but requires up-front payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlanT
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to file them at the same time.  However, if you are e-filing your income tax returns, the federal return will need to be accepted before you can e-file your state (or, you can just paper-file your state return later).

In case you are wondering how to skip the State, here are two ways to skip your state in TurboTax Online:

1. Delete your state return, file your federal return now, and then come back later re-do your state return
  2. Pay for both your federal and state returns now and when you get to the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select the File by mail button and click the I'm not ready to file radio button below your state and click save.

Method 1 doesn't require up-front payment for your state, but you'll have to re-enter your state information later. Method 2 saves the work you did on your state return but requires up-front payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
msk56

The better question is, can I file my state return now and file my federal return in July?

Yes but you will have to,print and mail state.

You can file state before Federal but you have to mail state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-e-file-my-state-return-before-my-federal/00/2554...

By the way,  This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

The best question is why you would file the state first ?  The federal return must be completed before the state can be done so even if you OWE the feds you should file BOTH at the same time ...you can file now and pay the fed balance due later. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies