Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't have a 1099-B and a bank/brokerage was not involved. What do I put for the "Bank or Brokerage" field?

I was given stock in a small C corp back in 2014. The company repurchased my stock in 2019. A bank or brokerage was not involved and I did not receive a 1099-B. What do I put for the "Bank or Brokerage" when asked, "Which bank or brokerage sent you a 1099-B for these sales?".
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I don't have a 1099-B and a bank/brokerage was not involved. What do I put for the "Bank or Brokerage" field?

@nicholasverduin Since the software is requiring a name for the bank or brokerage then enter the name of the financial institution or any name to satisfy the software.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You shouldn't get to that question. You should answer no you did not receive a 1099-B. You will then see a screen with a list of possible sources of the sale. Choose one of those or Everything else. Continue on with the following screens to enter the details of the sale. 

It's the first question after I choose which type of investment I sold. I don't think there is a way to avoid it. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 8.44.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 8.45.08 AM.png

This is totally different than the screens on the CD/download product. Can you just enter the word None? 

@Texas Roger I can enter anything I want, but I'm not sure that is the right thing to do. 

@nicholasverduin wrote:

@Texas Roger I can enter anything I want, but I'm not sure that is the right thing to do. 

It is not necessary that you enter anything in the box for bank or broker on that screen.  Just click on Continue.

@DoninGA 

If I don't enter a bank or brokerage, TT requires me to review the details of the sale.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.24.03 PM.png

@nicholasverduin Since the software is requiring a name for the bank or brokerage then enter the name of the financial institution or any name to satisfy the software.

Another alternative is to select the Other box instead of the Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds box and then you are not required to enter the name of the financial institution. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies