Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not earn income from self-employment this year but a 1099-NEC keeps appearing in the review section of my tax return. How do I remove it?

I filed one in 2019, but not for 2020. It does not appear anywhere else on my tax return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I did not earn income from self-employment this year but a 1099-NEC keeps appearing in the review section of my tax return. How do I remove it?

To delete the 1099-NEC:

Check Other Common Income

1. Click Wages and Income
  2. Scroll down to Other Common Income
  3. Revisit Form 1099-NEC
  4. Click Delete next to Form 1099-NEC in the 1099-NEC Summary. 

If it isn't there, you might find it in Self-Employment

1. Click Wages and Income
  2. Scroll down to Self-Employment
  3. Revisit Self-Employment income and expenses
  4. Review Your 2020 self-employed work summary
  5. Delete 1099-NEC in Income. 

If you are an independent contractor or freelancer, you're considered self-employed and need to report 1099-NEC income on a Schedule C attached to your tax return.

The 1099 NEC was from my 2019 taxes and appears nowhere under any income or self-employment tab for my 2020 taxes. It only appears when I review my submission and I have no way to remove it. I do not understand why something from my 2019 taxes is showing up here.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you had a Form 1099-MISC in your 219 return, it's possible the "trigger" transferred over to your 2020 return.  You can delete the form, using these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

Thank you, that did the trick!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies