Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I clicked "Paid family leave - I earned all or part of this income as paid family leave." however there is no place to enter the specific amount as not all income was PFL

I assume it is important to note how much of the total W2 income was Paid Family Leave and how much was standard pay, but the box is binary yes/no and doesn't ask for the breakdown.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I clicked "Paid family leave - I earned all or part of this income as paid family leave." however there is no place to enter the specific amount as not all income was PFL

Are you entering a W-2?  And is the amount of PFL reported in box 12 or 14?  There are no adjustments that need to be entered on the federal portion of your tax return (so no breakdown needed), but you may need to enter an adjustment on your state return if your state excludes this income from taxable income.  

In the United States, employers who offer PFL are the exception rather than the rule. PFL is usually only available through larger employers if it is offered at all. A small but growing number of states have enacted PFL legislation. They include California, the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Washington. The National Partnership for Women Families keeps a list of state PFL laws. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am based in CA with a Fortune 50 company. On the final pay stub there are line items for Maternity Leave Pay and Bonding Pay which I was assuming was Paid Family leave.  On the W2 there's nothing in Box 12 and in Box 14 there's an entry for SDI. Perhaps I was mistaken that those two line items on the final pay stub = paid family leave.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You wouldn't have to report it anywhere on the federal return, but you should keep an eye out on your state return to see if there is any mention of it.

My concern is that TurboTax specifically asks if "all or part" of the income was derived from PFL. When I select "yes" it significantly increases my state return. However the result is binary. There is no place to enter what "part" of the income was PFL. Just click box = huge refund, don't click box = no change.  If I am entitled to some refund based on part of the income being PFL I want to ensure TurboTax is not classifying all of the income as PFL. If I am not entitled I don't want to erroneously claim so and take a credit to which I am not entitled

DawnC
Expert Alumni

The amount paid as maternity and bonding pay is considered Paid Family Leave, so you would see an increase in your California refund amount when you indicate that you received PFL.  The amounts are fully taxable on your federal return but not your California return.  When you go through the state return, make sure that the adjustment is only for the amounts for maternity and bonding pay and not the full amount of your W-2.   The amount in Box 14 should be equal to PFL amounts and that is the amount that should be adjusted on your CA return.  You can also look at your CA tax return to verify the amount of the adjustment to taxable pay.  

RSG14

I am in the same situation.

Which code in box14 in w2 will represent the PFL amount. Also, I don't see any code on my CA state tax section of W2

oyinko

I'm in the same situation. Some the pay included in my wife's and my W2 include PFL provided by the employer. In the case of my wife, it was provided by an insurance company. In my case, It was directly paid by my employer. I'm not sure how to manage this topic with Turbotax. If I check the box, TurboTax excludes both incomes from state return which is not right. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Are you entering a W-2?  And is the amount of PFL reported in box 12 or 14?  There are no adjustments that need to be entered on the federal portion of your tax return (so no breakdown needed), but you may need to enter an adjustment on your state return if your state excludes this income from taxable income.  

Paid Family Leave (PFL) income is money you receive from your employer, an insurer, or the government while you are away from work for an extended period of time so you can recover from a serious health issue, take care of a seriously ill family member, or bond with your newborn or newly adopted child.

In the United States, employers who offer PFL are the exception rather than the rule. PFL is usually only available through larger employers, if it is offered at all. A small but growing number of states have enacted PFL legislation. They include California, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Oregon, and Washington. The National Partnership for Women Families keeps a list of state PFL laws. 

Paid Family Leave is different than paid time off like sick pay. For example, a new mother working at a company that does not offer PFL, might still take maternity leave based on accrued sick days. This pay falls under paid time off, and it is taxed differently than pay from PFL.

Here's where to report your 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave.

If you're using the TurboTax mobile app, follow these instructions.

Unemployment compensation and paid family leave are entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your tax return.

2. Search for 1099-G and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2020? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your 1099-G information.
shopgirl

Same situation, Turbotax has handled this terribly.

Chwoody4

Has anyone received a notice from the state of CA with regards to this issue? If so, have you reached out to TurboTax about it? 

There is nothing wrong with the program ... in the federal wages section after you enter the W-2 you will indicate  that there was PFL  ( nothing in box 12 or 14 is PFL)  and then later, in the STATE interview you can indicate how much was PFL if all of it was not ...  

1aa.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies