Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't import from Ameriprise. I've typed in the Package ID & Document ID EXACTLY as printed, All caps, just like on the form. Even copied & pasted. Always fails

Just keeps saying "That didn't work, try one of these"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I can't import from Ameriprise. I've typed in the Package ID & Document ID EXACTLY as printed, All caps, just like on the form. Even copied & pasted. Always fails

I would suggest you enter the information manually in the program. 

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1099div" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099div
  • Follow prompts

Use the same instructions for 1099int or 1099b

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bjb125

Ameriprise import not working for me either. Called Ameriprise, problem is on TurboTax's end.  Will be using different tax software in the future, having multiple issues with TurboTax lately.  They have not been helpful finding solutions.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I you are unable to import your Ameriprise data you should consider entering the data manually.

To enter your Ameriprise data, follow these steps:

• With TurboTax open enter the item you want to input (1099div, 1099int or 1099b) in the search box.
  • Select Jump to in the results window.
  • Follow the prompts to enter your data.
  • Repeat these steps for each type of item you need to enter.
AV6

Well, still broken.  Is TurboTax doing anything to address this?

If someone is about to write back suggesting that we enter the information manually, please don't.  This is why we pay good money to use TurboTax.

MarkGr

Doesn't work for me either. I have received two document packages from Ameriprise, entered the information exactly into TurboTax, received the ambiguous replay "Transaction Failed". One of the packages has MANY forms ... manual entry would be an unfortunate last resort - no excuse for this not to work correctly.

MarkGr

I found that if after the first failure I hit continue again without changing anything, eventually it works.

MarkGr has the solution, at least for me.  I carefully entered the correct package ID and document ID, hit Continue, and got an error message. With MarkGr's suggestion in mind, though, I just clicked Continue again  *without re-entering the package ID and document ID.*  I had to do this three times, but then it succeeded and offered me the opportunity to import the data.  And away we went.  Not a great experience--but waaaaay better than "just enter it manually." Thanks!

Replying to Leonard S...

Except... I paid extra to have the info imported.

If I was going to type it in manually, I shouldn't have had to pay extra.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you happen to have a password with special characters for your brokerage account, it may cause problems on your investment import. The workaround is to change your password on the account to something without special characters, complete the import, then change it back to your original password.

You may also opt to type in the information manually.

The package ID is automatically assigned by Ameriprise. It is not something that can be changed.

The part you experts don't seem to understand is... I paid extra to allow me to import. It was an upgrade. It costs money to import. So once I've upgraded , to suggest the best way around a turbotax failure is for me to type it in manually.... Is irritating. I wasted money, upgrading to something that didn't work.

NeilS

This is for 2020 taxes. Looking at your date of March 2020 you must have been doing your 2019 taxes. This will not help you at this point---but if others are seeing something similar for 2020---it might.

I was also trying to import from Ameriprise. You need your Package ID (PID) and Document ID (DID) sent from Ameripise (it changes every year)  or you can login into your account and look up your tax documents where the ecopy is. Anyway I was having a strange error whenever I typed in my PID and DID. It said that "1099 forms not yet available for tax year". I verified with Ameriprise that they were available. Apparently I figured out that I have two tax documents---one contained my 1099Div, INT, and had a PID and a DID and the other one was for my IRA 5498 form. The 5498 is not downloadable. Says right on the paperwork but I missed it. I switched to the PID and DID for the 1099 forms and it imported flawlessly. You have to make sure you type it in exactly as both the PID and DID are case sensitive. It solved my problem.

I am using Ameriprise for the first year, and already starting to really dislike it. For example, my "Document ID" has a 0 in in it, next to the letter G. I have NO clue if that's a Zero, or the letter O. I've tried both ways and Turbotax keeps saying that the 1099 is not available. 

Second, I see the same not that info on iRS contriburtions, etc are not available for electronic import. Why the heck not??? I have a bunch of info to enter, and not being able to import it is a complerte pain.

Lastly, something that Turbotax NEEDS to fix. Tthe document & package ID's are both long and mix of #'s and letters. To be safe, I typed them in Excel first, then pasted them into Turbotax. TT lets me do that for the Package ID, but not for the Document ID. It forces you to type in the Doc ID (all 11 digits, a combo of letters & #s). But it also masks the Document ID, so you are not allowed to see what you typed. Masked passwords are so stupid. Either let me paste ID # into turbotax, or let me read what I have typed!! 

SuzInFL

3/17/2021  I’ve tried to get TurboTax to connect to my 1099-B and related forms for 2020 from Ameriprise, so it would put everything into my account properly .   Tried and tried.   Won’t do it.  I already entered all the data by hand and hit Continue.  The software started asking question after question and it wasn’t going well.    Looks like I need to use a different program.   (They just announced on TV  that we don’t have to file until May 15... MAYBE I will contact TurboTax tech support.  

Finally stumbled on something that works to upload Ameriprise tax info after many, many failed tries. Changed two things so take your pick; 1) reset my Ameriprise password to include only a period as the required special character, 2) The Document ID looks like a string of letters but the first letter is a zero not an O.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies